Annoyed by Non-Tortoise Owner

klawran1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Acworth, GA
Venting moment: So I'm at work calculating the cost of my heated night box for my Leopard Tortoise as well as the cost to redo our fence in the back yard since it's about 20 years old or more and rotting. Well I'm surfing lumber stores near me when my co-worker says, "Why don't you just use chain link? It's cheaper." I tell him I have a tortoise and I would have to sight block everything, plus all the neighbors could see her and I'd worry someone would take her. I want the privacy fence." Not that they can't take her with the privacy fence, but why advertise? He said, "Well why don't you just put her in a 4x4 area and save the money?" I sigh and inform him that for one, it's way too small for her, and two, why confine her when I can give her the full quarter acre of fenced yard to roam in safely? His response? "She's just an animal. She won't care." I wanted to argue... I wanted to tell him he was an awful person... But I just nodded and dropped it. Frustrated. The best part is, he's been trying to convince me to help him get a Bearded Dragon... Because he doesn't think they need UV lighting, or live food (he's not going to touch bugs) or anything like that... I'm amazed he has a child that's not malnourished or something. Then he's like, "You need to have a kid to give you something more important to worry about." Come on, man.... This is going to be a long day....

Anyone want to share a story?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't think the problem is that this person doesn't own a tortoise... they'd clearly be just as awkward about any project.

They're undoubtedly the mind of person who knows how to do everything right... even when told otherwise * sigh *

Would an electronic hug help?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I thought I worked with some of the most touched people in the world ! But even they keep their dumb thoughts to their self .
But at least you know who not to go to for ideas now !

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
I thought I worked with some of the most touched people in the world ! But even they keep their dumb thoughts to their self .
But at least you know who not to go to for ideas now !

Right?! It's not like I asked his opinion... He just decided to chime in, I guess.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He's probably a guy that keeps his dog in a tiny crate while he's at work.
Crating a dog while working or sleeping or when gone is not a cruel or mean thing to do, as long as they are in an appropriate size cage. What is cruel is not crating a dog and then punishing it every time it chews something up while you were gone or sleeping. If done right, dogs love their crates.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just goes to show there are dumby's all over the USA ! :)
Not just all over the USA, it's true of some people everywhere I've lived.
Had some boys kicking a hedgehog in the street recently and when i went ballistic and thumped them they were protesting, "It's only an animal".
About 25 years ago, exactly the same thing happened in Bristol, England.
Some people just think animals exist to be used by Humans as we please.:(

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
...and the moral to this story is, "He who surfs the web on Company time can expect to be bothered by his neighbor."

HAHA! This is true. If the company would allow me to have more to do, I wouldn't surf. My job literally has no busy work. It makes for a very long day.

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
"It's only an animal".
About 25 years ago, exactly the same thing happened in Bristol, England.
Some people just think animals exist to be used by Humans as we please.:(

I can't stand it when people think this way. Just because it can't tell you that it hurts doesn't mean that it doesn't feel pain or matter.