Animal Plastics Enclosure Plant Suggestions

hatzego

Location (City and/or State)
North Texas
Hey everyone,
I just received my enclosure from Animal Plastics for my hatchling Indian Star Tortoise. I wanted to put a few live plants in it for additional shelter and feeding, and would like some suggestions for what would be easiest to keep alive in the enclosure and would be safe for her to eat and whatnot. Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a pathos in each of my Vision Cages. The plants do very well in them.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The easiest to grow in an enclosure and safe for a tortoise is:
Boston Fern
Pothos Ivy
Spider Plant
Prayer Plant

I also am now using Carex grass in a pot that grows into a large tuft of grass that drapes all the way to the ground in tufts that get about 12" high.. Not sure how it will do in the enclosure long term, but for now is doing great and it is the favorite resting spots for the tortoises.

This one pictured is actually planted in the enclosure substrate as it is 10" deep here for nesting. Notice how the substrate stays moist under the plants while it dries out elsewhere even though I mist every day. The humidity under plants is a major way tortoise find to reduce desiccation.

IMG_0570.jpg

Strawb

Dubai
IMG_5197.jpg

I just use fake plants. They like hiding under them and they are maintenance free

Just make sure they dont nibble on them. My stars dont so im ok using fake plants

Melis

Maryland
Pictures of your new enclosure and little one please!

Strawb

Dubai
The easiest to grow in an enclosure and safe for a tortoise is:
Boston Fern
Pothos Ivy
Spider Plant
Prayer Plant

I also am now using Carex grass in a pot that grows into a large tuft of grass that drapes all the way to the ground in tufts that get about 12" high.. Not sure how it will do in the enclosure long term, but for now is doing great and it is the favorite resting spots for the tortoises.

This one pictured is actually planted in the enclosure substrate as it is 10" deep here for nesting. Notice how the substrate stays moist under the plants while it dries out elsewhere even though I mist every day. The humidity under plants is a major way tortoise find to reduce desiccation.

View attachment 258279

Hi mark.

How many stars do you keep in one chamber? How old and what chamber size?

Just curious as to how many is too many and how many is just right?

Thanks