And They Say They’re Not Climbers

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Baby Redfoot DO climb!
I had one somehow scale the walls of a cinder block enclosure. Two blocks high.
Adults are not as agile.

Well this was a first I’ve seen at least. He’s only 18 months now so still small enough I suppose. Just glad he did figure out how to get back down.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
The first picture are pancakes and I think most here know they are climbers IMG_0573.jpg
And I believe I’ve solved the question of why IMG_0614.jpg l believe Yvonne and Steven and his lovely wife Irene were visiting my place and we went to a friend of mines place and look in the background, another climberIMG_0492.jpg. On a more serious note, it’s important to watch the climb and fall chancesIMG_0942.jpgor they might provide you a challenge of getting them “unstuck”IMG_3431.jpg.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I suppose the two most serious concerns regarding climbing are (1) it may escape the enclosure and (2) it may drop on its back and cannot flip back over.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I suppose the two most serious concerns regarding climbing are (1) it may escape the enclosure and (2) it may drop on its back and cannot flip back over.

My biggest concern would be the carapace impact damage and wound that potentially happen and as these are our charges, keeping them safe from harm is a requirement for us keepers.

Rachel337

Alberta, Canada.
My Scout is a crazy climber! She can get on top of anything she wants to.. I have since changed her enclosure to a fully enclosed one because she managed to get on top of the metal screen and almost fell onto the floor. Screenshot_20181218-070759_Snapchat.jpeg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My Scout is a crazy climber! She can get on top of anything she wants to.. I have since changed her enclosure to a fully enclosed one because she managed to get on top of the metal screen and almost fell onto the floor. View attachment 259846
That's impressive! Never say never.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first picture are pancakes and I think most here know they are climbers View attachment 259788
And I believe I’ve solved the question of why View attachment 259789 l believe Yvonne and Steven and his lovely wife Irene were visiting my place and we went to a friend of mines place and look in the background, another climberView attachment 259790. On a more serious note, it’s important to watch the climb and fall chancesView attachment 259791or they might provide you a challenge of getting them “unstuck”View attachment 259792.
I just love the last picture.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
OK. Here is the solution to the tipping over. Seriously.

You construct a kind of tall little square frame to fit on the tortoises' carapace, as if he is carrying a box on his back but it's just a frame. It will prevent him from tipping over. It can be attached by means of straps like a little harness that goes under the plastron like a girth on a saddle. He can't tip over.