And then there was Animal Control....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Before we moved out into the wilds of Wise County, we lived in a somewhat "snooty" neighborhood i a city about 40 miles away, with VERY restrictive pet laws (everything was an "exotic" except dogs, cats, parakeets and aquarium fish under 4" :rolleyes: and you had to buy a $50 a year permit for every individual exotic allowed, like my canaries, my wife's guinea pigs and lop bunnies and our tortoises...my snakes were a Deep, Dark Secret, obviously, as they were Absolutely Forbidden)...in addition, about 7 years after my wife bought this house, a HOA formed and, even though my wife never joined, they did their best to cram their rules down our throats...our rose bushes were too numerous (only 6 were allowed, and I'd planted 15), my truck (a 1941 Ford I was restoring at the time) was an "eyesore", my two Great Danes were a threat to the neighbors because they barked occasionally, my garage door wasn't an "approved" color...

One neighbor, in particular, was a joy to know, as ANY noise would set him off...noises like dogs (occ.) barking, kids playing basketball/playing at all, the sound of power tools, the sound of my motorcycle (he wanted me to push my motorcycle down to the end of the street before turning it on, so as to not disturn his peaceful existance in the morning), even the sounds the native birds made at our bird feeders!

Never understood why he moved into a neighborhood with kids, dogs, power-tool weilding weekend home-fixer-uppers, motorcycle owners and bird lovers and expected the entire neighborhood to conform to his demands...

After a few years of almost daily interaction w/ this neighbor, I got a huge royalty check and proceeded to find us a place way out in the sticks...for the last 7-1/2 years, our nearest neighbor has been almost 2 miles away.

And the nearest towns' animal control departments, once they found out about my reptiles, call me to deal wth exotic issues, because they haven't the facilities/resources to deal with pythons, big cats (fortunately, only one, so far) and such.

Green Acres IS the place to be! :D

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I had animal control at the house Monday.My lovely neighbor called them and said my dogs (2 boxers) are running around loose and went in his yard.I have an invisable fence and both dogs stay in my yard at all times.You can walk a dog past my house and they will not go past the boundry.

I was outside at the time,and the dogs are running loose..In MY YARD doing laps around the house.AC comes up with a ticket for $70 and hands it to me,doesn't ask my side of this story,just hands me the ticket.$50 for 2 un-lic. dogs..ok, my bad I forgot to renew the dogs tags.$20 for violating the leash law.Now I know,$20 not a big deal,but why would I have my dogs leashed in my yard?Tells me that he only charged for 1 of the dogs being unleashed and could charge me another $20...well button ya shirt before ya heart falls out....I guess being cival and asking me about the situation never crossed his mind.

I say, ahhh what ever,take it easy.."well there's another problem with a lizard"...excuse me!.Tells me the neighbor also told him I had some big scary lizard.It was 70 degrees out and I had my bearded dragon on my shoulder when I was out with the dogs.So I showed him the dragon and he asks for my permit.Permit?..I told him I don't need a permit and there is no such permit..."well I'm gonna check on that" he says..Cool, why don't you get the hell out of my yard and go do that (I'm getting pissed)..He takes a pic of my dragon with his phone and off he goes.Haven't seen him since.....
He must be busy looking for a bearded dragon permit...idiot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because of my job and having to take animals out in the public eye on a daily basis, I am inundated with this crap constantly. It can affect my livelihood as well as just being annoying.

I make it my mission in life to punish these people, one way or another, and teach them not to meddle in other people's business with unfounded, ridiculous crap.

As far as the authorities, that runs the whole spectrum of good to bad. I had one guy taking pictures with the dogs from "Spiderman 3". I saw the Spiderman shirt under his official work shirt. I said, "Hey, did you like Spiderman 3? Wanna see the dog that jumped the Sandman as he was trying to escape the compound?" You should have seen his eyes light up. Nice guy, actually. I had another one tell me I had to register my already registered dogs. "What?". I know his boss and called him on his cell phone while the idiot was standing there. This ACO was very rude, unfriendly and stupid (not just ignorant). I handed him my phone and his boss, my friend, told him to just come back to the office, so he could explain. That guy didn't last too long. Problem is, what if I didn't know his boss? Kristina and I both avoided trouble because, for various reasons, we know the higher-ups involved and the claims were totally ridiculous. What if we didn't?

The moral of the story is... if you make trouble for me, I'm going to make a lot more for you...

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Tom I agree with the trouble, When I was a little boy I was told by a pretty smart man,(1) What goes around comes around,(that covers the trouble) but it can also reward people that do good,(2) Favors are worth more than money, Which has proved to be true over time,(3) If you want to dance you have to pay the piper,(4) The last was, If money or women are involved there's going to be hanky panky, It took a long time to even consider the last one as fact or truth, But the Local, State, and National Leaders we have in this country today are proving his words true. 1,2,and 3 helped guide the way I lived my live since childhood, Never thought much about 4 until recently. Len

Status
Not open for further replies.