and 4hours of use my 160w Zoolight went poof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I was using a 10.5in brooder lamp as the base. Was that the wrong thing? Or was it a faulty bulb?

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I bought 2 fixtures and bulbs off a person off ebay. The bulb went after 10 days, so I contacted them and they sent me a new one. I suggest you take the bulb back to where you got it for a replacement. Probably faulty. The person off ebay said that it had probably gone because of a power surge, so I'm going to try and get a surge protector on the job too!

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
AustinASU said:
sometimes they overheat, let it cool down and it should turn back on.

There is visible damage to the outside of the bulb. It did not get hot before ceasing to work.

4 hours was just the total amount of time I got light from it. Not all at one time

Joanne said:
I bought 2 fixtures and bulbs off a person off ebay. The bulb went after 10 days, so I contacted them and they sent me a new one. I suggest you take the bulb back to where you got it for a replacement. Probably faulty. The person off ebay said that it had probably gone because of a power surge, so I'm going to try and get a surge protector on the job too!

I had it plugged into a surge protector.
I intend to return it, but would it be worth it to replace or try another brand

kjr153

5 Year Member
This happened to me and they gladly exchanged it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make sure you use a ceramic socket and that the socket is the right wattage for the light. Hang the light straight down and do not keep touching or bumping it. All that I just mentioned will shorten the life or blow it. They are touchy.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
wellington said:
Make sure you use a ceramic socket and that the socket is the right wattage for the light. Hang the light straight down and do not keep touching or bumping it. All that I just mentioned will shorten the life or blow it. They are touchy.

The Brooder lamp has a porcelain socket, is that adequate?

It was hung straight down. I didn't have it long enough to fiddle with it or touch it much.
I'll double check wattage I thought was rated high enough.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Terrapin said:
wellington said:

The Brooder lamp has a porcelain socket, is that adequate?

It was hung straight down. I didn't have it long enough to fiddle with it or touch it much.
I'll double check wattage I thought was rated high enough.

Yes, porcelain is probably more what they are then ceramic. If the wattage of the socket was high enough, I would send them back and get your money back or replacements.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Yes, porcelain is probably more what they are then ceramic. If the wattage of the socket was high enough, I would send them back and get your money back or replacements.

Thanks will do.

I'm just so close to having my habitat ready this set back bums me a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.