An update on my sisters Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

imgliniel

5 Year Member
So Today I came out here to Anaheim to get Mr Tortoise all set up. I brought with me a 125w solarglo MVB bulb (I could only find the zoomed in the 160 and I thought that would be to much for the smallish enclosure but for everything I can tell this is really the exact same thing). A deep dome housing with ceramic socket of appropriate wattage. An automatic timer, cuttlebones, and a probe thermometer.

While I put him in the sink to soak my sister fiddled with the timer and got it programed. 6am to 8 pm. 14 hours of light and warmth. He soaked in sweet potato babyfood and warm water for a little longer then I originally was planning while we got the timer/lamp etc up and running and warm. (maybe 35 min or so, but I rewarmed the water regularly). He did either poop or pee or possibly both in the soak. I am not sure if he drank or ate because he is not very outgoing and every time we would peer into the sink he would stop moving and retract into his shell. So once the probe was reading 91 I put him under the light. He moved around for a bit, sniffed the kale we put in for him (Kale used to be one of his favorites which is why we chose it). But then retreated to his hide on the cool side and is currently staying there. He did not eat :( I have fidled with the lamp and the probe temp is currently reading 96.4 and it seems to be holding steady. Over on the cool side the temperature is almost exactly 70 and seems to be holding there.

So now what? Does everything seem right? But still he's not eating. Just give it a couple days for his system to get going? When do I start to worry etc? I was going to bring my kitchen scale and weigh him but I forgot it. He does feel nice and solid and heavy like a rock though He doesn't see, light.

Thanks!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
He sounds shy. Give him time, he may hide for a couple of weeks. He has to make sure he is safe first.
Take him out only to soak him for 15" or so, and then place him under the basking light again.

You are doing a good job. Taking care of tortoises can be a slow process, but very rewarding!

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
I just recently got a russian and when we first brought her home she was like Dracula in a bat cave but by day 3 she would run out of her hide when she heard us open the door to my room. :) Now when you talk to her she will come to the side of her enclosure and look up at you :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I'm so glad you got your sister's tort a heat/UVB lamp - that will make such a difference! Since the tort got so used to the cool air, he may need to be moved under the basking bulb a few times a day to 'get back into the habit' - once he's properly warm, he'll also start feeling hungrier.

He's probably malnourished from the involuntary fast, so make sure he doesn't start eating TOO MUCH at a time (once he starts eating), since that would unduly stress his system.

I've seen tortoises come back from worse situations (you can read about it on my tort blog), so I hope all will go well, and he'll bounce back and be happy and healthy.

Good job being a good tort-Auntie!

imgliniel said:
So Today I came out here to Anaheim to get Mr Tortoise all set up. I brought with me a 125w solarglo MVB bulb (I could only find the zoomed in the 160 and I thought that would be to much for the smallish enclosure but for everything I can tell this is really the exact same thing). A deep dome housing with ceramic socket of appropriate wattage. An automatic timer, cuttlebones, and a probe thermometer.

While I put him in the sink to soak my sister fiddled with the timer and got it programed. 6am to 8 pm. 14 hours of light and warmth. He soaked in sweet potato babyfood and warm water for a little longer then I originally was planning while we got the timer/lamp etc up and running and warm. (maybe 35 min or so, but I rewarmed the water regularly). He did either poop or pee or possibly both in the soak. I am not sure if he drank or ate because he is not very outgoing and every time we would peer into the sink he would stop moving and retract into his shell. So once the probe was reading 91 I put him under the light. He moved around for a bit, sniffed the kale we put in for him (Kale used to be one of his favorites which is why we chose it). But then retreated to his hide on the cool side and is currently staying there. He did not eat :( I have fidled with the lamp and the probe temp is currently reading 96.4 and it seems to be holding steady. Over on the cool side the temperature is almost exactly 70 and seems to be holding there.

So now what? Does everything seem right? But still he's not eating. Just give it a couple days for his system to get going? When do I start to worry etc? I was going to bring my kitchen scale and weigh him but I forgot it. He does feel nice and solid and heavy like a rock though He doesn't see, light.

Thanks!

imgliniel

5 Year Member
So since he normally makes a beeline for his hide as soon as he is placed back in his enclosure I am thinking a hide on the warm side may help. Currently his hide is on the cool side. So if there was one on the warm side he could still hide and feel safe and stay warm. The only thing is I am not sure what the best type of hide would be. I don't want it to turn into an oven but I do want it to stay warm. I don't want it to get hot to the touch and burn him. And I don't want it to melt or be a fire hazzard etc. Any suggestions?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can use a clay flower pot turned in its side and submerged half way into the substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.