An Introduction

ManicTurt

Location (City and/or State)
Fairfield, CA
Good evening everyone, I am very new to this forum (obviously) but after reading it enough I decided to join. I currently have a sulcata that I got from a rescue (so I dont know how old he is) and a Mississippi map turtle. I have a ball python and a breeding pair of red eyed crocodile skinks as well but this is a tortoise forum so I will stick to that. I mainly created this account to get to know what others go through with tortoise care and maybe ask a few questions when I need help. They bring me so much joy! I love watching tortoises explore and since I live near sacremento I can bring my sulcata out when it warms up. I am hoping to get an Egyptian tortoise eventually when I am able to find one. I'm happy to be a part of this community, thank you all!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to TFO!

We have care sheets for most of the different species of tortoise. Here's some good reading material for you. Don't be surprised if you find the care different than what you've seen before. Most of the info available... online, from vets, from breeders...is old and outdated. The methods used by the breeders and keepers here in this forum are up to date and backed by years of experience.

Read them over. If you have questions about any of it, come back and ask. The writer of the care sheets is an active member of the forum, and he loves an opportunity to explain why he does what he does! ?

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
Hello, and welcome to TFO!

We have care sheets for most of the different species of tortoise. Here's some good reading material for you. Don't be surprised if you find the care different than what you've seen before. Most of the info available... online, from vets, from breeders...is old and outdated. The methods used by the breeders and keepers here in this forum are up to date and backed by years of experience.

Read them over. If you have questions about any of it, come back and ask. The writer of the care sheets is an active member of the forum, and he loves an opportunity to explain why he does what he does! ?
Thank you,! I will be sure to read these today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. We talk about other pets all the time, and we even have a section just for that called, not surprisingly, "Other Pet Talk". :p

Feel free to post about all your pets, but I'd especially love to see and read more about your skinks. I've always been fascinated by that species, but never taken the plunge. Please tell us more and share your pics! Many here would love to learn more about them.

I haven't heard back from the Egyptian breeder yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

ManicTurt

Fairfield, CA
Hello and welcome. We talk about other pets all the time, and we even have a section just for that called, not surprisingly, "Other Pet Talk". :p

Feel free to post about all your pets, but I'd especially love to see and read more about your skinks. I've always been fascinated by that species, but never taken the plunge. Please tell us more and share your pics! Many here would love to learn more about them.

I haven't heard back from the Egyptian breeder yet, but I'll let you know when I do.
I will go post pictures , they are a lot of fun! Very shy though so I only see them early in the morning. One egg is almost ready to hatch and they just had another last week that looks healthy. I have a nice bioactive setup for them that I will post pictures of with more about them. Thank you!