An idea for the reptarium to get the substrate deeper for my Russian/Horsfield.

Vold-e-torte

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, UK
I've had an idea of how I can get the substrate much deeper for Timothy, I've just ordered a heavy duty pond liner that I can then staple gun into the correct size. This means that even in the reptarium I should be able to achieve a 10cm depth. I'll add a front wooden panel to cover the liner, and then a decorative strip to make sure we don't get any glass bashing... Although to be fair, as timothy grew up with front glass, he's just not that bothered.....

I also think this will make for hugely improved time in cleaning? So remove quite a bit of the substrate and then just lift the pond liner out.?

Thoughts - from the Tort experts?

I've included a picture of Timothy Vold-e-torte - completely asleep (to be fair, he'd done a couple of laps of the garden before this....) - He's so handsome!

Attachments

• 91655149-DEE1-405B-BB26-AA996E8338F1.jpeg
    91655149-DEE1-405B-BB26-AA996E8338F1.jpeg
    796.4 KB · Views: 21

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Sounds good! To do a deep clean just remove the substrate and wipe down the pond liner it will last longer that way. It stiffens over time and less movement is better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pond liner idea works, but I agree with just removing the substrate when needed, which should be hardly ever. I scoop it out with a dust pan and then shop vac the rest.

The substrate you are using is extremely dangerous and should be switched ASAP. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its sandy substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a terrible idea. That stuff should not be sold, and I can't imagine what was going though the head of the person who thought that up.

Vold-e-torte

Birmingham, UK
The pond liner idea works, but I agree with just removing the substrate when needed, which should be hardly ever. I scoop it out with a dust pan and then shop vac the rest.

The substrate you are using is extremely dangerous and should be switched ASAP. Encouraging a tortoise to eat its sandy substrate to satisfy calcium cravings is a terrible idea. That stuff should not be sold, and I can't imagine what was going though the head of the person who thought that up.
I am changing it on the next clean. I do mist and I’ve got other stuff on order.