An AMAZING story shared with me about a drowned Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vacaville, CA
I posted a picture of my hatchling Sulcata the day that I got him, on a website called Reddit, and a huge comment thread started with 600+ comments, once of which was the story below... All of you turtle and tortoise people please tell me your opinion on this, if you've ever heard of such a thing. It left me speechless, honestly. Please forgive any grammar or swear words, I just copied it directly.

"I have an interesting story about our African Sulcata "Elliot". Well about 12 years ago on mothers day Me, my brother my sister and my step dad went to an exotic pet store where they sold African Sulcatas, we bought her a 2 year old Sulcata. Years pass(maybe 6-8 years) we let him roam our back yard we have grass that he "mows" and plenty of room for him to grow. We have a pool too...after all these years he would walk pass the pool and NEVER payed no attention to it. One day i come home from school and my mom is balling her eyes out. She says Elliot had drowned...my heart sank it was mid November fairly cold out and i go to the back yard where Elliot was at the bottom of the pool. I take my clothes of jump in the freezing cold water and sadly bring his limp body out of the pool. My older brother is also very sad and remeberd from school that turtles can slow their heart beats to 1-2 beats an hour almost a hibernation state. so we look up how to give a turtle CPR we get a straw and gently blow air to his lungs while my step dad is pumping his legs. about 2 min go by no luck, we all start to lose faith...then out of nowhere Eliot MOVES he **** MOVES we all light up and rush him to the vet emergency clinic. They said there is hope and we come back the next day and Eliot sure enough is VERY much alive but making weird sounds. well, Eliot kind of became slow after the incident, he will not eat on his own my mom has had to hand feed him for 4 years now. Just recently Eliot has eaten on his own after 4 years of my mother prying his mouth open and injecting liquid food into his mouth. My mom sent me pictures of Eliot eating a head of lettuce 2 or 3 weeks ago all on his own. He is doing well to this day and is 14 or 15 years old :) we luv our Eliot he is a Miracle.
http://i.imgur.com/mYDKB.jpg "

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmm... I guess its possible. They can hold their breath for a long time. Still odd though, as all of mine float like a cork, and swim like a duck.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I don't know. I kinda believe it. It's not that I have a vast knowledge of a tortoises lung capacity or their ability to hold their breath for long periods of time, but in my experience (with middle school students mind you) if someone takes the time to construct an elaborate story like this there's probably a nugget of truth in it. But... that is just IMO. ;)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I am glad to read that the tortoise has finally recovered well enough to eat independently.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I could see where it could be real. I would also think the cold of the water actually helped him. Almost sounds like he still get some brain damage out of lack of oxygen. Hmmm interesting.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
If the water was cold enough then I would say it could be true.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Hmm... I think Anthony hit the nail on the head. I bet there's some truth to it but I bet some bits are probably a bit truth stretched!
Lovely story though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.