An Amazing Snapping Turtle

Gabby and Tank at the vet2014.jpg Hello, I'm new to the site and saw you had some threads with regards to Chelydra serpentine - Common Snapping Turtles. I have a 36 pound male that I have been raising for the last 5 years. He came to us as a near hatchlings. Tank is a member of our family, he is the most docile and interactive turtle I have ever seen. Tank and I have a close relationship, hands on most of the time. I'm retired so I have plenty of time to interact with him. I've said on many occasions that Tank is more like a shelled dog then he is a snapping turtle. I've setup a website so more people can read his amazing story so if you get time I hope you will visit it. Tank can be found at tanktheturtle.com and on FB @ Tank Gilfillan. Gabby and Tank at the vet2014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes, but he prefers leg massages and plastron scratches. He seems to like getting his head scrubbed with a tooth brush.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Welcome! Snappers are fascinating turtles! Looking forward to more pics :)

joeyacad

Hello, I'm new to the site and saw you had some threads with regards to Chelydra serpentine - Common Snapping Turtles. I have a 36 pound male that I have been raising for the last 5 years. He came to us as a near hatchlings. Tank is a member of our family, he is the most docile and interactive turtle I have ever seen. Tank and I have a close relationship, hands on most of the time. I'm retired so I have plenty of time to interact with him. I've said on many occasions that Tank is more like a shelled dog then he is a snapping turtle. I've setup a website so more people can read his amazing story so if you get time I hope you will visit it. Tank can be found at tanktheturtle.com and on FB @ Tank Gilfillan. Gabby and Tank at the vet2014.jpg

I have a 3 month old common snapper and I want to keep him in a 300 gallon stock tank when he gets older and I am hand feeding Him and taking him out if his tank about 3 or 4 times a week so that he is used to eat. Is there anything else I can do to make him more docile or friendly? Also how fast does a common snapper usually grow? Mine is about an inch and a half.

Tank is an awesome turtle. Clean as a whistle most of the time. His website is a great place to see his life in words and photos(tanktheturtle.com). He's an active member of the family. He visits schools, herp organizations and libraries. He's a hands-on turtle at these places which isn't normal for most snapping turtles. He has never shown any aggressiveness/defensiveness towards anyone. He allows me to clean his beak and eyes when necessary and skin cleaning is an almost daily chore. My words really fall short as to what a special turtle he is.

I have a 3 month old common snapper and I want to keep him in a 300 gallon stock tank when he gets older and I am hand feeding Him and taking him out if his tank about 3 or 4 times a week so that he is used to eat. Is there anything else I can do to make him more docile or friendly? Also how fast does a common snapper usually grow? Mine is about an inch and a half.

My Tank will be 6 in Sept. and is 36 pounds. I think a lot of visual time is important as they learn you are not a threat. Tank's growth really took off after he was de-wormed(Drontal Plus). I would guess any wild caught turtle has parasites. Captive breed can also get them if feed live feeder fish like minnows. Parasites can also come from raw store bought food, like shrimp.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Giant nice friendly snapping turtle :) That sounds awesome!

that's crazy. you must have really done something right for him to trust humans that much

Not sure what to say. Thousands of hands on hours with him, involving him in as much family things as we can has surely paid off. I also think Tank is a unique turtle. If his docile nature is what he is, then he probably wouldn't have survived in the wild. Snapping turtles survive by not trusting and being defensive. They are a shy turtle who only come together to breed and fight. I'm fortunate to have Tank. As I type this he is resting his head on my shoulder. I lay on the floor right next to his poly tank. This way he can reach out and touch me whenever he wants. This kind of contact is only allowed because of the years of trust we've built up. His curiosity about me is for the most part gone, he accepts me. He did give me a curiosity bit when he was only 1 pound. That has never been repeated and he's had thousands of opportunities to do so. The other bites I've taken were feeding accidents cause by me. If you don't pay attention when you're feeding a large turtle you are going to get bit. On the 4 occasions this has happened Tank immediately released me cause no injury at all.

DADS - tank cover.png

This is one of my favorite photos of my boy. He would think there was something wrong if you didn't touch him. I had an awesome artist in Scotland do a drawing of this photo. I'll post it up at another time. This photo is a year old so Tank is even bigger.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Welcome! WOW! He's a gorgeous turtle!

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Are snappers usually so colorful? Maybe I've never noticed because they are always dirty when I've seen them.

Are snappers usually so colorful? Maybe I've never noticed because they are always dirty when I've seen them.

That is funny. You are right, they usually are very dirty. I don't allow Tank to get too scummy. Water changes happen a lot do to dead skin coming off. One of his favorite times is dead skin removal, he gets leg massages with that. He usually takes a nap during these times and when I'm done I get a look like "why'd you stop" Such a interactive turtle.