Ammonia B-gone!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
My ammonia is GONE! YAY!! Yeah, so I had a free water sample (I swear it looked like a little pee test) that I could take in for testing and the ammonia was DANGEROUSLY high :eek: so I went home and immediately got my girls outta there FAST, and changed 50% of the water.
I researched some ammonia chips 'n things but them in the filter (I bought 4 bags) changed ALL the water, and dumped a large bottle of water purifier and ammonia be gone in there, and a few days later, it's still sqeaky clean! Thanks everyone for the help :D @Team Gomberg and @AustinASU and bunches of other people like @wellington and @Jabuticaba!
Here is before- uu.jpgOh my God, that's hideous :eek:hhh.jpg
WOW! What a change! gg.jpg
And I can actually see my girlies now, which is a plus :Djj.jpg
Even from the BOTTOM of the tank, I can all the way up! SO MUCH BETTER fishy.jpg
And a fishy :p
Thank you! I am so glad it's better now!
(it had better stay that way :mad: )

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The chips said every month, and I think I'll go with only two bags next time ;) Yes, I have a small mini fulval for the smaller turtles, and it works SO nice :D
Thanks for the help!!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks so much! Hauling that many buckets of water from the bathroom was NOT FUN.

Oh man....are you not familiar with the Python Siphon? I have used that product for ALL water changes in the last 12 years! From 10 gallons to 30,000 gallon tanks...I would never do "water" without that product! It'll change your life!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Nope, what is it? Haha, I should probably know :D
I have always dine 2 gallon buckets for cleaning, and it's sort of messy o_O(which is really gross) but I jave discovered the trash bag method, keep the floor nice and dry :eek:(that's really horrible to say) :confused:o_O

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I looked it up now! Looks 'complicated' ;) they sell one at Petsmart, according to Google, I should get one! I would be SO NICE not to haul all those buckets! I mean, it took AN HOUR to empty an 180 GALLON TANK. I wanted to die by the time the last bucket of brown ammonia water was flushed down the toilet...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Their website
http://www.pythonproducts.com/

images

It hooks to your sink or bathroom faucet. Turning the faucet "on" sucks the water from your tank and directly down the drain. Reverse the attachment and it fills up the tank with water directly from the sink!
I add any water conditioners to the tank as it fills up.

The fat nozzle head allows you to siphon gravel. It removes waste from the substrate without sucking that up as well. No substrate, just use the hose.

Again, I've used it for 12years. I love it.....love it .... LOVE IT :D <3

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It doesn't suck the gravel down the hose too, even if you use the large part? That would make cleaning SO much easier!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Do you know how that works, the reverse sucky thing (wow, very specific) I'll go to their website now (very specific)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Nope, it doesn't suck the gravel. Youtube it! you'll see lots of examples :)

I know how it works inside and out! Read about it a bit and again, use You tube for some visual aids. You'll get it ;) But if you still need help or have questions, just ask!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I love their crocodile guy, perfect! It seems that it would work really well. 40$ seems to be the usual for the 25', which would be perfect... Thanks for the recommendation folks, I'd like to get one... It would make everything so easy :( wish I had that for this cleanup!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Thanks so much! Hauling that many buckets of water from the bathroom was NOT FUN.
Yup....I remember them days....that's when I thought :rolleyes: a land tortoise would be so much easier :p LOL/JK

In all honesty I always struggled with my tank water when I had turtles! It made me crazy. I would buy everything. The water would be clean for a day:eek:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well, I am so hoping (very desperately) that it stays clean, but now I know that I had a SEVERE ammonia problem, and it was part in fault of me for not getting the chips or putting ammonia purifier in the water to begin with.. Also, I have since moved out my RES into his own tank (jst as this began, actually) and I'm hoping that with only two turtles left in there, it will be slightly less 'dirty' :D
What type of filter did you have? That would rive me CRAZY!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Well it was a whole back but I had a 55 gallon & I had 2 filters, they were recommended to me at Petsmart when I talked to the person about my 2 turtles & the 55 gallon. I think it was a penguin double & I had a single on the other side. After I put the extra one in it did help, it was just a regular sized filter for a 30 gallon.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well it was a whole back but I had a 55 gallon & I had 2 filters, they were recommended to me at Petsmart when I talked to the person about my 2 turtles & the 55 gallon. I think it was a penguin double & I had a single on the other side. After I put the extra one in it did help, it was just a regular sized filter for a 30 gallon.
Hmm, that might've been the problem! It makes sense that t got better after the second filter.... Turtles are VERY messy animals, and it's recommended to have 100 gallons for each turtle (filter wise) My slider girls have a 400 gallon filter, my boy RES has a 75 (I skimped out :D ) and my painted turtles have one 150 gallon filter. Seems overkill, but it works! And at the end of the one-two month cleaning period, they are BLACK inside.
Sadly, petsmart employees don't really seem to know what they're doing :( The other day I was there buying some shrimp for turtles, and an 'educated' employee was telling a boy about bearded dragons, and she told him to keep them on SAND, and in a 20 gallon tank :mad::eek::(