Amazing story about our tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Rock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I have an amazing, miraculous tale about our Hermann's tortoise. My daughter was given Daphne by her high school science teacher last year. We had the tortoise for a few months when she decided to take off on us last fall. Let me explain. My daughter had the tortoise out in the front yard last October while she was surfing her the internet on her laptop. Daphne took off without my daughter seeing where she went, and we searched for 3 days looking for her. We even used our hunting dog to pick up her scent to find her, but to no avail. The weather turned colder, and we gave up hope that she would survive the winter. I live in the northern United States, specifically in Minnesota. We just had the snowiest winter here in 20 years. We had a cold stretch where it was below 32 degrees for 7 weeks straight, with many days of high's temps. in the single digits and teens. According to what I have read, a Hermann's tortoise probably wouldn't survive in this kind of climate with such cold temperatures. Guess what my wife found next to the house under some straw while doing yardwork today? DAPHNE! I couldn't believe it. Daphne was covered in dirt, so it was obvious she had burrowed somewhere nearby, down into the ground. We 'lost' her six (6) months ago. We recently had some warmer weather with thunderstorms last night, so the change in seasons must have brought Daphne out from hibernation. Yea, there was some crying going on in our house today. She is safe and sound in her pen in the house, and seems to be none the worse for wear, but we will have to watch her for a few days. I had to post somewhere on a forum about this whole ordeal, and it seems perfect right here amongst tortoise folks. This whole thing really is a miracle. Hermann's tortoises are tough! Don't do what we just allowed to happen, but be assured that these animals are resilient and tough.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'm so glad she's okay!!! You should post a picture of the little girl :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I had the same thing happen with a box turtle but in Calif so the winter was not as harsh. He was found the next Spring. That's just an amazing story knowing how rough winters are in the North East...I'm glad she's back for you...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Congrats on finding your tort. I could not survive in a house in that weather. I am a weather wimp:) Anyway I hope you and your daughter will start surfing this forum it is a great place to learn. I think some of the members here (not me) are the most knowledgable tort and turtle people in the world.

Big Rock

5 Year Member
Minnesota
maggie3fan said:
I had the same thing happen with a box turtle but in Calif so the winter was not as harsh. He was found the next Spring. That's just an amazing story knowing how rough winters are in the North East...I'm glad she's back for you...

My wife just reminded me that we had a few nights of -20 to -25 below zero temps. Minnesota in the winter- you gotta love it! It all seems a blur after having months of arctic frigid weather. With temps far below zero like that, I am at a loss for words that she survived, the more I think about it. Pictures will come in the near future, according to my daughter. :D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thank's for sharing that incredible story! Cannot wait to see pics of Daphne!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Its always good to hear a story like that with a great outcome. Welcome to the forum also..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Big:

Wow! How lucky is that?

Can't you just see her a few months ago, sitting under that plant in the flower bed and just snickering away at you guys looking all over for her?

Big Rock

5 Year Member
Minnesota
SnakeyeZ said:
Your lucky! I wouldn't be letting my daughter watch the tortoise anymore, lol.

Believe me, it will not happen again where my daughter is concerned. The tortoise is hers, and she was pretty hard on herself last fall when this whole thing started. She is a good kid, and I trust she will not repeat the same mistake twice. Talking about cold weather, where you are at- now that's a cold place in the winter!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. Time to build an actual outdoor enclosure, so that can't happen again. You might want to give her a nice warm soak too, to help rehydrate her. 6 months is a long time with no food or water.

Happy to hear everything worked out for you guys.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing that story....a great read. That is one tough tortoise and if it can survive that then it is set for life!

Status
Not open for further replies.