am i UNDERfeeding! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
I feed my 6inch redfoot once a day in the morning and i just want to know if i am underfeeding him ....he gets a handful of grees everymorning pkus his protein or fruit that he needs.....is this not enough, he does not eat it all at once he paces himself and never eats it all im worried he does not get a variety he gets.....
-Protein-
hobby mice,day old chick(frozen),earthworms,mealworms,boiled chicken breast,he eat insects outside,tortoise pellets,low fat dog food,boiled egg)
-Vegetable-
gem lettuce,green cabbage,red cabbage,rocket,cucumber,
sweetheartcabbage,beansprouts,red pepper,spinach,carrots,sweetcorn,peas,
mushroom,green pepper,yellow pepper....
(more just forgot)
-Fruit-
butternut squash,pear,apple,honeydew melon,
orange melon,watermelon,peaches,plums,mango,tomato,banana(occasionaly),
grapes,kiwi,pomegranit,rasberyys,blackberrys,strawberrys...(and more,)
-Weeds/Garden matter-
Grass,Dandelion leaves,Dandelion Flowers,clover leaves,clover flowers,
wild strawberry leaves,wild strawberry fruit...
im only asking because peoples tortoise which are smaller than mine eat twice a day....
do i feed her enough....is she okay? :/
Thank-you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't house redfoots....however I would think that if your tortoise does not eat all of their given food in one sitting g then perhaps it is a bit too much...perhaps you can take the regular amount you would give your tortoise and give half in the am...then the other half for dinner? Then both smaller meals will give your tortoise a goal..as well as be fresher each time...I know my guys like fresh and tender vs aged and wilted????? Just my opinion ..

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I would feed once a day maybe a afternoon/bedtime snack once in a while. In another once of your post you just said you only feed your redfoot every other day. So which is it everyday or every other day? Your tortoise will not starve feeding him everyother day, just like you wouldnt either, but wouldnt you rather have a nice big meal everyday? Its your choice really as long as he is happy and gaining weight, not so much that he has pudge by his legs.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
yes i feed him every other day but when i told someone about it they said it is not a good idea so i upped it to every day!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I would avoid the cabbage, as for eating as long as he eats, and he seems healthy to you I would not worry, if he eats what you give him even though he takes his time, hen all is good.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Your list sounds fine (dmmj- what is your concern about cabbage?), and your overall plan sounds OK as well.

The trick to feeding a tortoise is the same as the trick for feeding a human- the right number of calories for their size and activity level, with the right mix of nutrients.

How many calories? One answer is to go to http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/nutguide.html and look on the chart. It shows you the animal's length, suggested minimum weight for that length, daily calorie need, and daily doses of calcium, and key vitamins. The same site shows the formulas used to calculate them, as the sources for the formulas.

Obesity is an issue in tortoises feed too much rich food and not allowed enough chance to exercise. However- if most of your diet is high-fiber, low-calorie stuff, like yard plants, leaves, flowers, mushrooms, and the like, then this is not really an issue.

Underfeeding can be an issue as well- but if it is underfed, it would eat all the stuff offered, be nibbling on non-food items, feel light for the weight, and not showing signs of growth.

The annoying thing about all of this is that it is REALLY HARD for us big, fast metabolism mammals to look at these little, slow metabolism animals and accurately gauge how much food they need.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I just don't like feeding cabbage, no particular reason.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Every time I make corned beef or boiled dinner, my torts get the outside leaves, leftovers, and butt/heart ;) Nothing wrong with cabbage now and then. Good for their beaks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.