Am I taking good care of my sulcatas?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
View attachment 238734 I am using something called “Eco Earth.

Yep, that works pretty well, along with dyeing the tortoise a brownish color.
I must say, you are doing amazing. Most people try to avoid what needs to be done, say they don’t have the money or the time to fix it, and give other excuses and stuff. Of course most of the time it’s reasonable, it’s just not great to hear. But you are doing everything in your power to help them, and that’s more than most people will do. Your tortoises are lucky to have you.

kevvmic

Malta
Humidity, water and UVB are the most important things. Always make sure your tortoise have some water and uvb light or sunlight. Please be sure that the tortoise has a hide or something shady, since you could end up dehydrating her if it stays only in the sun.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Humidity, water and UVB are the most important things. Always make sure your tortoise have some water and uvb light or sunlight. Please be sure that the tortoise has a hide or something shady, since you could end up dehydrating her if it stays only in the sun.
You are doing such a great job for someone your age. Keep caring and listening to the great people on here and you won't go far wrong. Your baby is so cute and Stone is a great name.
One of our cats jumped about two feet in the air when the 'stone' she was sniffing moved [emoji23]

Tara A Roman

katy, tx
Hi Jaid10. My son is 13 and we have a salcata. Our first Salcata and we're doing great. If you want to reach out to him so he can help you, send me a private message and I can give you his contact information. He would love to answer any of your questions. You're doing a great job. Im sure your Salcata's are loving you even more now. Keep up the good work.

Jaid10

USA
Everyone, thank you so much. I am so grateful for all the help. I found a bookshelf at a thrift store I think I am going to buy for the older one and then put something to make it a closed chamber. I couldn’t purchase it because it had just been dropped off at the thrift store, but plan to tomorrow. In the meantime, the 6yo is in the same cage but I put a garbage bag over it and added some stuff. It is moist and has a heat lamp. I can send some pics.

Jaid10

USA
I have a HUGE field in my backyard. My mom was wondering if I fenced it up could I keep my 6yo there in the summer? Of course I’d have to add heating, a water sorce, etc.. to it, and I might buy her a flag or something to know where she is. Here’s a pic. I don’t know how I feel about it.

daniellenc

Maryland
Everyone, thank you so much. I am so grateful for all the help. I found a bookshelf at a thrift store I think I am going to buy for the older one and then put something to make it a closed chamber. I couldn’t purchase it because it had just been dropped off at the thrift store, but plan to tomorrow. In the meantime, the 6yo is in the same cage but I put a garbage bag over it and added some stuff. It is moist and has a heat lamp. I can send some pics.

Watch the garbage bag with those hot lights. Sounds like a potential fire risk!

Jaid10

USA
I will. It is pretty far away from it. Here’s a pic.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well done on what you have done so far. One step at a time. Where there is a will there is a plan and you seem to have it.:D:D Good on you.

Jaid10

USA
So I can with correct heating, humidity, etc...?

Jaid10

USA
We have it fenced up from the back but it is opened to the yard. We could easily fence both parts up though.

Jaid10

USA
What needs to be done in order to keep her in the field?