Am I taking good care of my sulcatas?

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi, I was wondering if I’m taking care of my tortoises right. I have a six year old and a four week old.i have recently found out that I have been doing things wrong with my tortoises. I feel really bad and want to make sure that I’m not doing anything else wrong. I would like to send pictures but I am new and don’t know how. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO! for my six year old, I got her when I was 4 years old and did not take care of her properly. All I gave her to eat was lettuce with calcium on top. I didn’t keep the cage humid or anything. She definitely has a pyramid shell. I just found out I need to give her lots of grass for her diet.durring the summer I keep her outside in a rabbit hutch. No ramp or anything though. I don’t give her a light or anything while she’s in the hutch. I of course bring her inside when it’s too cold. I will let her out to roam once a day. I also just found out she needs a uvb light during the winter. She is living in a big tank with a heating light. For my 4 week old I am trying to keep her cage humid. She lives in a smaller tank with a heating light. She will be getting lettuce with baby grass that is cut up with calcium on it. I plan on keeping her outside a couple hours a day in a small hutch. I am trying to do my best and am so sorry for the mistakes I’ve made. Please let me know if I’m doing anything wrong.

Jaid10

USA
I am so mad at myself for being a bad owner.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi, I was wondering if I’m taking care of my tortoises right. I have a six year old and a four week old.i have recently found out that I have been doing things wrong with my tortoises. I feel really bad and want to make sure that I’m not doing anything else wrong. I would like to send pictures but I am new and don’t know how. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO! for my six year old, I got her when I was 4 years old and did not take care of her properly. All I gave her to eat was lettuce with calcium on top. I didn’t keep the cage humid or anything. She definitely has a pyramid shell. I just found out I need to give her lots of grass for her diet.durring the summer I keep her outside in a rabbit hutch. No ramp or anything though. I don’t give her a light or anything while she’s in the hutch. I of course bring her inside when it’s too cold. I will let her out to roam once a day. I also just found out she needs a uvb light during the winter. She is living in a big tank with a heating light. For my 4 week old I am trying to keep her cage humid. She lives in a smaller tank with a heating light. She will be getting lettuce with baby grass that is cut up with calcium on it. I plan on keeping her outside a couple hours a day in a small hutch. I am trying to do my best and am so sorry for the mistakes I’ve made. Please let me know if I’m doing anything wrong.
Hi Jaid. Please read the links that the other members posted on your other threads. They will tell you how to correct your care and what you should be doing to look after your torts. If you don't understand anything after reading them then please ask questions. BUT first read them, everything you need to know is in them already.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Don't beat yourself up! You are here now and trying to learn!
It is amazing how much information has been gathered on Sulcatas in the last 5 years or so, any information that is from before 2010 or even later is going to be outdated and inaccurate.

The good news is that there is an vast knowledge base on these forums curated by some extremely talented and dedicated individuals.

Just as a leaping off point:

Care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Feeding, the diet could use some work: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

As far as posting pictures you need to have them on your device then you click the landscape icon on the tool bar above the area where you type your text and it will allow you to upload directly to the forum.

Try not to take offense if/when people criticize your husbandry, people here are serious about their tortoise care and any critique is for the purpose of ensuring the best care for your beautiful beasts!

daniellenc

Maryland
Click upload a file
Choose your picture
It will upload
Then hit thumbnail or full image 56AE33DB-E08E-4938-9C21-08994518DB61.jpeg

Jaid10

USA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 129

Jaid10

USA
Should I get a mist machine for both of them?

daniellenc

Maryland
No but post his enclosure. We can probably help you tweak it to hold humidity in.

daniellenc

Maryland
Also tell us what they eat, what’s used for heat, UVB, and stuff like that.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The first picture won’t work for me.
You need a completely closed chamber for both of them, with temps never falling below 80 degrees at the coldest part of the enclosure, day and night. You need 80+% humidity, a damp substrate, a water bowl, etc. You also need to be feeding avaried diet of weeds, and I would never feed lettuce. It takes more energy to eat than it gives.
Read these VERY thoroughly-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Don't beat yourself up! You are here now and trying to learn!
It is amazing how much information has been gathered on Sulcatas in the last 5 years or so, any information that is from before 2010 or even later is going to be outdated and inaccurate.

The good news is that there is an vast knowledge base on these forums curated by some extremely talented and dedicated individuals.

Just as a leaping off point:

Care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Feeding, the diet could use some work: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

As far as posting pictures you need to have them on your device then you click the landscape icon on the tool bar above the area where you type your text and it will allow you to upload directly to the forum.

Try not to take offense if/when people criticize your husbandry, people here are serious about their tortoise care and any critique is for the purpose of ensuring the best care for your beautiful beasts!

Whoops! Seems I didn’t see that you sent the links before me, lol

Jaid10

USA
Should I be misting my older tortoises cage?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Should I be misting my older tortoises cage?

You shouldn’t just be misting it, you should have it in a closed chamber so that it can actually hold the the humidity you put in. You should be misting, stirring water into the substrate, and making sure it stays damp. Could we see pictures of the enclosure?