Am I Murdering my Tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I second Tom's concern with the humidifier--it can aerosolize some bad bugs that should not be inhaled.
I was just worried about the water vapor. You bring up a whole new concern that I'd never even considered. Even more reason to not use them. Thanks for the info.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I was just worried about the water vapor. You bring up a whole new concern that I'd never even considered. Even more reason to not use them. Thanks for the info.

I’m not really sure I buy these concerns with humidifiers. Is there anything actually documented with tortoises or is this just theoretical? I tried them out years ago, but now similarly dislike them (but for entirely practical reasons):

1. Not needed in a closed chamber
2. They are a maintenance nightmare

I also used a mister for a couple years, and I’m less negative on those. The effect is not the same and is more natural - but I just quit using it after failing to see any extra benefit (for tortoises, anyway).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Many use warm air humidifiers as I did when my tort was a hatchling. I don't recall ever reading about any problems due to using one. Heck many humans use them at night blowing right at them.
With a closed chamber it isn't needed. Otherwise I wouldn't not use one as long as its kept clean. Personally they can be a pain and don't seem to last long. I went thru 3 at least in just one year of my torts first year.

Dlamonda

Grants Pass
We're working with what we got - I wasn't going to get a tort until I had a yard, but this guy was NOT thriving in the pet store I found him in earlier this year, so I decided to make it work with what we got. I've been growing the enclosures with him - this is #3.
I feel bad so many people being sarcastic. Getting your tort out of a petstore was heroic! They end up sick and suffering. I have spent over $700 getting my Russian well. Your doing right by him, good for you and him. We unfortunately learn as we go. All I can say is read everything you can get your hands on. And find a good reptile vet. I was so lucky. Your doing great! Just saying