Am I late for an Introduction?

Bogie=babyDINO

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Hello, everyone! I think I am long over due for an introduction but better late then never I guess! My name is Kelsey and I live in Southern California! I have been a tortoise freak for 7 months now when I got my little friend Bogart.

I work at Petsmart part time and getting my bachelors in animal science. One day a lady came into the store looking for big soaking bowls for her desert tortoises. I knew nothing about tortoises and I told her that. We got to talking and what she said fascinated me!! I had no idea tortoises were so interesting. So being an impulsive young college student I looked up torts on Craigslist (I know I should have done my research ahead of time but I was in the "I want" mode). I met with a guy that had 3 one month old sulcata hatchlings in a dirty bucket, very dry, pyramiding already started, the guy didn't even speak English. Not knowing to look for a healthy one I picked out the worst looking one cause I felt sorry for him and I wanted to save him. (I had no idea about the death rate of dried hatchlings). Took him home, jumped on the forum and finally did my research lol. I binge read all of Toms care sheets and all the enclosure threads I could find. I started soaking him right away and named my little guy Bogart. I quickly found out I bit off a HUGE responsibility with Bogart but I saw it as an awesome challenge. I dumped a good chunk of money into his tank to make sure he has everything to resemble the monsoon season. He was growing slowly but then for 3 long months he was stuck at 72g. I was so scared because I had read about hatching failure syndrome. I knew I was doing all that I could and if he dies there was really nothing I could do. I decided to boost his mazuri from 2 days a week to 4 days a week to see if it effected his weight. 2 weeks later I weighted him at 81g!! That was two weeks ago and he is continuing to grow. I feel he is over the hump now and my little dried out hatchling is on his way to becoming a dinosaur!! He is 7 months and 84g today. I went back to mazuri 2 days a week and I am currently trying to sneak grass into his diet. He is a stubborn little guy. I let him wonder outside everyday while I work in his garden. He gets soaked 2 to 3 times a day and gets a wide variety of food from the garden but his favorite right now it Hibiscus leaves. I love him so much and I jump on my TTF app everyday to see what new things I can learn! I hope he is with me the rest of my life so I'll have to write him in my Will for my future kids.

I want to thank everyone on TTF for all their great advice and for saving Bogarts life!! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444499933.452291.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444500222.645066.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444500222.645066.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 26
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444500313.871235.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444500313.871235.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 24
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444500401.986297.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444500401.986297.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 24

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kelsey, and a very 'official introduction's page 'warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and sweet Bogart.
Already seen you about on the forums, of course.
Hope you continue contributing and having fun!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad your here, did your home work, even if it was after the fact, that's never too late either and glad you finally decided to share your story with us. So, Hello and Welcome. Btw, working at petsmart, hopefully you can help change their minds about some of the info they give out and items they sell that are not very good. Just a thought, I know it's more about what corporate wants.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Kelsey welcome to you and Bogart,
Pleased to meet you both.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Glad your here, did your home work, even if it was after the fact, that's never too late either and glad you finally decided to share your story with us. So, Hello and Welcome. Btw, working at petsmart, hopefully you can help change their minds about some of the info they give out and items they sell that are not very good. Just a thought, I know it's more about what corporate wants.
Yeah when I started working there I thought it was going to be a lot different. I guess I expected people to have more passion for the animals. I've teamed up with a manager that really wants to improve things at Petsmart but yes, there is only so much we can do. We are currently bugging our store manager to get a bigger tank for the water turtles so our Russian can have their old tank. Everyone would be a lot happier. The store manager doesn't see it as a "priority" right now. I still bug him about it but I focus on doing my best at keeping the cages clean so the animals stay healthy.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
Lovely tort!!!
Do you have an outdoor enclosure or is this supervised wanderings ?
Careful what he finds to eat, they will eat all sorts of naughty things if they get the chance.
Silly torts! ;)
Thank you!
No he has a 40 gallon inside. I take him outside for 1 to 2 hours a day in the garden. Yeah I have to keep a close eye. I found him trying to eat old cat poop!! Yucky and I'm sure he could get really sick so I'm more careful now. He goes after dried out worms too. Naughty tort!

aundreagwen

He is adorable!!!! I got my guys on Monday as a spur of the moment thing, and as someone who works in animal rescue I should know better lol. There were two posted on a pet buy and sell and that afternoon we had tortoises. The next day they had a 3x6 enclosure and the day after I found one a new home after learning here that I should not keep two. I have read so much over the past few days and this forum has been an incredible wealth of knowledge. I'm glad your little guy is growing, I look forward to watching him flourish!!!!

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
He is adorable!!!! I got my guys on Monday as a spur of the moment thing, and as someone who works in animal rescue I should know better lol. There were two posted on a pet buy and sell and that afternoon we had tortoises. The next day they had a 3x6 enclosure and the day after I found one a new home after learning here that I should not keep two. I have read so much over the past few days and this forum has been an incredible wealth of knowledge. I'm glad your little guy is growing, I look forward to watching him flourish!!!!
Oh thank you! Yep I was the same way but I think it says something when we go above and beyond to give them a wonderful life. We might not have done it in the right order with research, enclosure, then tortoise....but we did it nonetheless and they are healthy!!! Enjoy your little ones and don't forget to post pictures!