Am i giving them proper care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Texas BABY!
I just wanted to ask if I was doing things correctly with my first tortoises. I have had bearded dragons in the past and none if them have survived a year with me! Not sure why I did everything correctly? But anyways I thought I'd start new a fresh so I decide to get a Russian tortoise. I did 2 months worth if research and at the very last minute (literally in 2 days) I switched to a sulcatas. I didn't know too much but I got all the info so I picked out my healthy baby (unlike the one FTP the let store that was unhealthy over priced and not in the proper care). I got 2 Molly and spike with my own birthday money. I put them in a cement mixing tub with a UVB and basking light. And I used alfalfa pellets like the guy at the store told me. Well Molly was sneezing from it so I changed it and got a warmer light. Also Molly is not as active or eats as much as spike is that a problem? I'm noticing the sneezing going away but also that she's in her hide a lot of the day.
Okay I edited it because my pics wouldn't show so ill just tell you.
I keep a water bowl for drinking, soaking, and extra humidity.
I am going to try and get into the habit if soaking everyday.
I feed everyday of course. I feed them spring mix and Zoo Med grassland tortoise food pellets. They have lots of grasses and stuff you just put them into water so they are soft. Also about 3 times a week I sprinkle Rep-Cal on their food. It has vitamins and calcium.
I have a log and molly likes to go into it and climb it! :p I also have 2 rocks under the lamps for basking.
I use Eco Earth for substrate.
Right now they are in a plastic cement tub, but for Christmas I got a Zoo Med tortoise house!!! I'm going to set it up and maybe use that one for outdoors in the summer and keep the one I have for winter and rainy days.
Well that pretty much covers it sorry I wrote so much any comments or suggestions would be great! Thanks for reading!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, you really haven't given us enough information for us to know if you're giving them the proper care or not. And a picture might help too.

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
emysemys said:
Well, you really haven't given us enough information for us to know if you're giving them the proper care or not. And a picture might help too.

I soak them every other to every day. And feed them everyday of course. I refill the water the temps are in the upper 90s and they are on better substrate now. Darn I spent an hour on those pics and the didn't show!!!!

Sorry a couple mistakes! Lol and I would live if anyone would give me some info on the outdoor enclosures. Like substrate etc. thanks!!!!!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I believe in soaking daily and feed twice a day. It sounds to me like your substrate is too dry. You need to try for 80% humidity. That means your soil is pretty damp...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would take a long time to type an answer to all of this. This is why I typed it all up and put links to it in my signature. Read the threads in my signature first please. Then come back and I will answer any additional questions all day long. From what you posted above, it sounds like you are making some common beginner mistakes, and could use some help. The threads below contain all that help.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So, how old are they? Humidity is very important. An open enclosure would be too difficult to keep humidity between 70-80% unless you cover most of the top with a fireproof cover. Then you'll have to figure out how to hang their heat lamp. Do you see the problem? Next, you should give your babies a warm soak twice daily. Once a day is fine, but twice is better. They not only love it, but it stimulates them to eliminate waste. Once in the am and another in the pm before bed is a good habit to get into. I assume you've read all of Tom's threads on sulcata care. Remember that their habitat is not big enough for one tort, and you have two. Plan on separating then soon, or placing them in a larger enclosure. Give me the measurements of the enclosure they'll be living in.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
I understand your frustration about bearded dragons, they are extremely hard to raise especially as babies. I have lost 2 myself. The links at the top of the Sulcata page about how to raise hatchlings and baby sulcatas are great you can find most answers to your questions there. I suggest you read and reread them. Also someone awhile back posted how to set up a backyard incloser for them maybe you can search the site or one of the other members can tell you the link. I have not figured out how to share links yet. Congrats and good luck with your babies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
How old are your sulcatas? Is molly temp sexed? Possibly the reason for hiding is females do hide more.. or..what are your 3 temps? And what is your humidity? You should be spraying your enclosure down for your humidity...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
About the beardies: I have never had any trouble with them. I think its just like sulcatas. Lots of misinformation and incorrect assumptions about them. In many cases of failure I suspect dehydration, and diet. No way I could know anything about either of your cases, but these are two things that I have seen a lot of, out in the beardie world. Lets start a new thread in the lizard section if you want to discuss it further.

(Apologies to the OP for the brief off-topic foray)

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!
Okay I'm going to get into the habit of soaking twice a day, get some mazuri, and get the humidity up. I need to get a humidity gauge and something to put on top to hold it in. I'm not sure the measurements just yet but I know it's a pretty good size. (My outdoor enclosure). Should I have hay and Eco earth in my outdoor one? In the basking it's around 96-103. Not sure the other side..... But thanks for all your help! I'll do my best to make these changes ASAP. Thanks again any other questions on my care or enclosure I would gladly answer!

Oh when I got them they were about 2 months old. So now they are about 5 or 6 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.