Am I doing things right?

ChrisO

i have baby red footed tortoise( taffy). I have him in a 10 gallon tank(for now). I have cypress mulch for his substrate, he has a hide spot, I have the top wrapped with foil to keep it sealed, I have the 80watt solar power sun for basking, I have 100 watt Che for nighttime heat, basking spot is around 95 or so degrees, cool side is around 80 to 85, with the humidity around 30 percent,he has a water dish, he is active, and eats like normal, I'm just curious to see if I am doing things right! I recently lost a baby sulcata and don't want to make the same mistakes!

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
i have baby red footed tortoise( taffy). I have him in a 10 gallon tank(for now). I have cypress mulch for his substrate, he has a hide spot, I have the top wrapped with foil to keep it sealed, I have the 80watt solar power sun for basking, I have 100 watt Che for nighttime heat, basking spot is around 95 or so degrees, cool side is around 80 to 85, with the humidity around 30 percent,he has a water dish, he is active, and eats like normal, I'm just curious to see if I am doing things right! I recently lost a baby sulcata and don't want to make the same mistakes!
You need to get the humidity up to 70%. Soaking him for about 20 minutes a day will help too.

ChrisO

Oh sorry I forgot I do soak him, how can I get the humidity up? I spray the substrate with water

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pour water over that substrate and mix it up with your hand. Get rid of that food dish. The sides are too high. Replace it with a tile or piece of cement.

ChrisO

Ok I'll take the food dish out. Is the cypress mulch good substrate? Taffy likes burrow into it and gets the shavings around his eyes! I got the humidity up to 60 %

ChrisO

Taffy tends to want to climb all over the place, earlier I found standing on top of the hide staring out at us lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, cypress mulch is good. See if you can find the small particle orchid bark next time you need to change substrate. It's easier for babies to walk on. But the cypress mulch is ok for now.

You may have to cover the enclosure to keep it more humid.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
If you can...build him a box or buy a rubbermaid tub from homedepot...they run about 23 and the plywood box is 40 depending on which wood you go with...

ChrisO

Ok I was soaking taffy the other day and my daughter notice taffy leaked out a yellow liquid? Are his suppose to be wet looking?

erinlyndon

They really like things to climb on like rocks and logs, and a plant (which is safe) real or artificial. This is my enclosure, but unfortunately my tortoise has gone to bed now so you won't be able to see her. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1482527427600.jpg
    1482527427600.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 13