Am I caring for my baby horsfeild tortoise right?

WinstonTheTorotoise

hi,
My baby horsfeild tortoise ,Winston, I only bought recently the first 2 days he didn't eat as much but he started eating more slowly but I'm not sure how to feed him in a day I don't want to over or under feed him I want to feed him the right amount I have been giving him dandelions and weed from the careen and the occasional stash of lettuce he also has a cuttlebone disc to keep his beak healthy it aslo has calaium for him and through the day I let him go outside to wonder if it's hot and let him graze on grass for about an hour I make sure he always has a supply of water even though he doesn't drink it very often and I soak him every other day for about 10-20 mins and then gently scrub his shell with a soft toothbrush to get rid of dead shell cells. I will need and helpful tips I can get for being a new tortoise mummy :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
hi,
My baby horsfeild tortoise ,Winston, I only bought recently the first 2 days he didn't eat as much but he started eating more slowly but I'm not sure how to feed him in a day I don't want to over or under feed him I want to feed him the right amount I have been giving him dandelions and weed from the careen and the occasional stash of lettuce he also has a cuttlebone disc to keep his beak healthy it aslo has calaium for him and through the day I let him go outside to wonder if it's hot and let him graze on grass for about an hour I make sure he always has a supply of water even though he doesn't drink it very often and I soak him every other day for about 10-20 mins and then gently scrub his shell with a soft toothbrush to get rid of dead shell cells. I will need and helpful tips I can get for being a new tortoise mummy :)
Hello and welcome

It sounds like you're on the right path :)

If you can, please post some pictures of your tort's enclosure as that will help us to advise any adjustments to make things just perfect for you little one :)

Generally, people say to feed a pile of food roughly the size of your tort's shell. Russians can be little piggies when they get going, but it's unlikely you will overfeed him even if he clears the lot and you decide to give him a little more. :)

WinstonTheTorotoise

This is his enclosure it is quite big for him as he is a small tortoise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What is the substrate you are using in the above photo? Is your tortoise digging under it?

I would suggest adding more hides - small spaces your tortoise can feel safe in. Those spacious covered regions of prebuilt tortoise houses don't provide a lot of security for an animal that wants to be buried or lost under plants.

WinstonTheTorotoise

Hello and welcome

It sounds like you're on the right path :)

If you can, please post some pictures of your tort's enclosure as that will help us to advise any adjustments to make things just perfect for you little one :)

Generally, people say to feed a pile of food roughly the size of your tort's shell. Russians can be little piggies when they get going, but it's unlikely you will overfeed him even if he clears the lot and you decide to give him a little more. :)
What is the substrate you are using in the above photo? Is your tortoise digging under it?

I would suggest adding more hides - small spaces your tortoise can feel safe in. Those spacious covered regions of prebuilt tortoise houses don't provide a lot of security for an animal that wants to be buried or lost under plants.

He is digging under it he beuries himself to sleep when he puts himself to sleep he also like digging in the open space I am going to get hides this weekend to let him hide

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is his enclosure it is quite big for him as he is a small tortoise
It looks quite dry. What is the substrate? For good smooth shell growth there needs to be higher humidity. Something like orchid bark can be soaked and hold water to raise humidity levels.

The pet store reptile food and water bowls are not good for tortoises. Their steep sides increase the risk of the tortoise tipping over. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate is much better for water. For food use a piece of flat tile or slate - eating off this helps to keep the beak in good shape and prevent overgrowth.

What type of bulb do you have in your lamp?

Is it on a clamp? The clamps have a habit of failing and it's a fire risk - it's better to hang the lamp.

Your tort would also enjoy some plants in there to give him somewhere to hide and something to browse on. Sink pots into the substrate rather than trying to grow the plants in the substrate

WinstonTheTorotoise

It looks quite dry. What is the substrate? For good smooth shell growth there needs to be higher humidity. Something like orchid bark can be soaked and hold water to raise humidity levels.

The pet store reptile food and water bowls are not good for tortoises. Their steep sides increase the risk of the tortoise tipping over. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate is much better for water. For food use a piece of flat tile or slate - eating off this helps to keep the beak in good shape and prevent overgrowth.

What type of bulb do you have in your lamp?

Is it on a clamp? The clamps have a habit of failing and it's a fire risk - it's better to hang the lamp.

Your tort would also enjoy some plants in there to give him somewhere to hide and something to browse on. Sink pots into the substrate rather than trying to grow the plants in the substrate
I have had him for under a week so I have just bought the substance that he was in the tank at the breeders shop we are getting a new lamp that hangs but we have that one because a tortoise breeder recommended there is a picture that I will post thanks for your help

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Winston!! You will find a good caresheet for Russians (Horsefields) under Species Specific which will tell you all about diet, temps humidity and substrate etc The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is also a good thread for finding out how to avoid potential problems.

A few quick do's and don'ts (apologies if repeating any advice already given)
  • Coiled bulbs can damage torts eyes so avoid those; red lights can confuse torts
  • Pellets straw/hay and wood chips/sawdust etc. are too dry and can hurt eyes, sand and soil with white bits in it can cause the gut to become impacted
  • cheap terracotta plant saucers are safer and easier for torts to use than steep sided water dishes
  • a temp gun is more accurate than the pet shop dial type of thermometers and great for spot checking your 4 temps.
  • clamps can fail and cause fires so where possible hang bulbs - easier to adjust temps by raising or lowering too
  • plants will help with humidity and provide security for the tort (see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants)
There's a lot to learn but this is the best place to learn it so read and ask as many questions as needed someone will be along in good time to help.

WinstonTheTorotoise

Hi and welcome to you and Winston!! You will find a good caresheet for Russians (Horsefields) under Species Specific which will tell you all about diet, temps humidity and substrate etc The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is also a good thread for finding out how to avoid potential problems.

A few quick do's and don'ts (apologies if repeating any advice already given)
  • Coiled bulbs can damage torts eyes so avoid those; red lights can confuse torts
  • Pellets straw/hay and wood chips/sawdust etc. are too dry and can hurt eyes, sand and soil with white bits in it can cause the gut to become impacted
  • cheap terracotta plant saucers are safer and easier for torts to use than steep sided water dishes
  • a temp gun is more accurate than the pet shop dial type of thermometers and great for spot checking your 4 temps.
  • clamps can fail and cause fires so where possible hang bulbs - easier to adjust temps by raising or lowering too
  • plants will help with humidity and provide security for the tort (see www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants)
There's a lot to learn but this is the best place to learn it so read and ask as many questions as needed someone will be along in good time to help.
Thank you so much this is an amazing website I have been doing research but I still have a lot to learn about these facinating reptiles everything and even little tips help thank you for helping me :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you so much this is an amazing website I have been doing research but I still have a lot to learn about these facinating reptiles everything and even little tips help thank you for helping me :)
You're welcome - we all had to start somewhere. There is much more to keeping torts than meets the eye - I still learn something new everyday!!:)

WinstonTheTorotoise

There's so much to know about them it's mind blowing :0 :)
Is it normal for my tortoise to not like baths I have just given him a bath and he kept trying to get out I made sure he stayed in there for at least 5 mins to make sure he stayed hydrated but will he get used to it or will he continue to not like baths???

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Try changing the temp of you water. My baby Russian relaxes and enjoys at about 95F. I soak 20 minutes every day, and maintain 60 percent humidity in his enclosure.

WinstonTheTorotoise

Try changing the temp of you water. My baby Russian relaxes and enjoys at about 95F. I soak 20 minutes every day, and maintain 60 percent humidity in his enclosure.
What temp should it be for a Russian horsfeild tortoise about 40oC or higher or lower

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What temp should it be for a Russian horsfeild tortoise about 40oC or higher or lower
Water temp? I would say lower - mine likes it about 95'F too - as you can see in my pic he's very relaxed!
You may find he poops and wees in his water, just pull him out and replace with clean water if he does.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If he's reluctant to soak, do it first thing in the morning before he's warmed up properly. You'll find he's more likely to relax and enjoy the warm water.

(Lights should all be off at night by the way)

WinstonTheTorotoise

If he's reluctant to soak, do it first thing in the morning before he's warmed up properly. You'll find he's more likely to relax and enjoy the warm water.

(Lights should all be off at night by the way)
I have a timer so it turns of at about 8:00pm and it turns on about 7:00