Am I Burning my tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelbymom

5 Year Member
:(Can someone please tell me what the proper distance between my tort and her heat lamp should be. Not sure if I am burning her. I've recently noticed that her head is starting to flake/peel in 2 spots ever so slightly, and that the top of her head seems slightly darker in color. Her table is currently set up with a 100watt red lamp (about 10 inches from floor or 6-7 inches from carapace) and a 250watt incandescent for heat (approx 12 iches from the floor or about 9 inches from carapace). Now common sense would say that if she gets too hot she would move to a cooler area on the table but I guess that she could be getting burned while basking and not realize it. Due to concern, I have moved the 250 watt bulb up to 15-16 inches off the floor or 12-13 inches off the carapace and the red bulb to 12-13 inchecs off the floor an 10 inches off the carapace. Tort is 10.5 inches long and 4.5 lbs.

Please advise, as I do not want to burn her shell or skin.

By the way, she is soaked everyday for about 30 minutes and has access to a large shallow saucer for drinking/soaking during the day. Dehydration is not an issue.

Humidity fluctuates between 55%-60%

Thanks for your help.

M

Maggie Cummings

I would say that a 250 watt bulb is too much for a baby. 100 watts is enough. I would also say that a 30 minute soak is too long. 10 minutes is enough....

chadk

10 Year Member!
I would get a good digital thermometer and\or temp gun. Sounds like you could be cooking the tort. But unless you actually measure the temps, you'll never really know.

I'd get a rock the same size as the tort. Put it under the lamp. Then put the temp probe on top for about an hour and see how hot it gets.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
Also depends what species it is too. As some prefer hotter temp more than other.ad mentioned by Chad, you should measure the temps and youll find out

Oops...sulcata central ,duhh

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
As Chad said, you need to measure to know! Its the temp that matters more than the size of the bulb. A big bulb will be further away and a small bulb closer. The temp at the substraight would/should be the same! With that said, you do not want a bulb soooo big that it has to be so far away the UV is not useful.

Shelbymom

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I would say that a 250 watt bulb is too much for a baby. 100 watts is enough. I would also say that a 30 minute soak is too long. 10 minutes is enough....

Maggie:

I turned off the 250 watt bulb but have noticed that her head is a bit tan now and she has two tan spots near her eyes that are turning white and flaky. I feel like such a fool, I just assumed that she would have moved if she got too hot. I had no idea that I could be burning her. I just wanted to up the temps so she wouldn't get a URI. The day temps are correct but as mentioned by several others I do not have a temp gun to do a spot temp reading of the sustrate under the lamp. I feel just awful. Is there anything I can do for her? Should I take her to the vet? Is there some sort of topical cream I should use? How can I tell if she's in pain? She's eating and pooping normally and doesn't seem lethargic, but I am concerned just the same.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Janine

bettinge said:
As Chad said, you need to measure to know! Its the temp that matters more than the size of the bulb. A big bulb will be further away and a small bulb closer. The temp at the substraight would/should be the same! With that said, you do not want a bulb soooo big that it has to be so far away the UV is not useful.

I will be able to get a temp gun on Saturday. I will keep that lamp off until then, and probably thereafter. I'm too nervous to use it now anyway.

Thank you.

chadk said:
I would get a good digital thermometer and\or temp gun. Sounds like you could be cooking the tort. But unless you actually measure the temps, you'll never really know.

I'd get a rock the same size as the tort. Put it under the lamp. Then put the temp probe on top for about an hour and see how hot it gets.

Will be getting a temp gun on Saturday. However I think the lamp will remain off indefinitely. I think everybody is right, the lamp is too powerful for her and possibly the enclosure as it has been built. I'm way too nervous to use it anyway.

Thank you.

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't worry about her head, can you put a bit of neo-sporin on it? I really don't think you burned her, I think she's growing and her head just changed color.
What kind of a basking light do you have for her now?
You're not a bad tort mommy, just a new one. Stop worrying, she's a baby and babies don't seem to know when they get too hot. Just use a regular incandescent bulb until you get your temp gun. It's all gonna work out fine. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I had to watch Survivor first...:p

Shelbymom

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Don't worry about her head, can you put a bit of neo-sporin on it? I really don't think you burned her, I think she's growing and her head just changed color.
You're not a bad tort mommy, just a new one. Stop worrying, she's a baby and babies don't seem to know when they get too hot. Just use a regular incandescent bulb until you get your temp gun. It's all gonna work out fine. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I had to watch Survivor first...:p

Maggie:

I am using a red heat lamp. Unfortunately I threw out the box , and don't remember the brand name. It is 100watts, currently clamped at 14 inches off substrate, so about 11 inches from the tort. I have an aloe vera plant at home, would it be better to try applying some fresh aloe vera to her skin than neosporin, since it is natural? I worry about the neosporin getting in her eyes and stinging her.

Please advise.

I really appreciate all of the help and support you've given me. Shelby is a rescue/foster tortoise so I really have never done this before. Our neighbors moved and they had tenants who when they moved left her in the apartment. She came to us because everyone on our block knows we do dog/cat rescue and they figured we might know someone who rescues turtles/tortoises. Unfortunately we did not, I have since contacted Turtle Rescues here on Long Island where we live, and am hoping that she can be placed in Florida in the Springtime so she can enjoy "REAL SUNSHINE" "NATURAL GRAZING" and a "NORMAL TORTOISE LIFE rather than the artificial one I can provide here. I am absolutely thrill to be a foster mommy right now but nervous that I am not doing everthing "right". I never imagined how much work it would be to care for a tortoise in captivity, and how important husbandry was. It is truly worth it. She is a beautiful wonderful animal. SHe is cute as a button when she has grass and cactus fruit smooshed all over her face. For now, she's my little piglet and I adore her!

Thank you.

Janine

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hi Janine,
I bought the PI-1 from tempgun.com, which was recommended to me by EgyptianDan here on this forum. I love it because you simply hold it in an area of your enclosure and press the button and voila! Instant temperature reading. I have adjusted my TREX bulb several times as I try to get just the right distance so that Taco's basking spot is about 100-105 degrees, her cooler side about 75-85 degrees, and her hide about 65-70 degrees, as these temps have all been recommended to me by the experts on this forum.:)

I think the Tempgun cost about $27, with shipping. Danny also recommended the PE-2, but that one is closer to $50, so I chose the less expensive P-1.:p

Good luck to you. I have a feeling you may decide to keep your little piglet as you sound like you are fast falling in love with the critter, so a thermometer may be a good investment.;)

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Just checking to see if you understand that in place of the big 250 watt bulb, you need to get either (1)a ReptiSun 10 (NOT ReptiGlo 10) long fluorescent bulb and a regular 100 watt household bulb, or (2) a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) for him. Either the T-Rex Active heat MVB or the Megaray (www.reptileuv.com). The red light can be used at night if it is cooler than 60.

Check www.Petmountain.com and www.herpsupplies.com and LLLReptiles.com for supplies.
Good luck
Patsy

M

Maggie Cummings

Shelbymom said:
maggie3fan said:

Maggie:

I am using a red heat lamp. Unfortunately I threw out the box , and don't remember the brand name. It is 100watts, currently clamped at 14 inches off substrate, so about 11 inches from the tort. I have an aloe vera plant at home, would it be better to try applying some fresh aloe vera to her skin than neosporin, since it is natural? I worry about the neosporin getting in her eyes and stinging her.

Please advise.

I really appreciate all of the help and support you've given me. Shelby is a rescue/foster tortoise so I really have never done this before. Our neighbors moved and they had tenants who when they moved left her in the apartment. She came to us because everyone on our block knows we do dog/cat rescue and they figured we might know someone who rescues turtles/tortoises. Unfortunately we did not, I have since contacted Turtle Rescues here on Long Island where we live, and am hoping that she can be placed in Florida in the Springtime so she can enjoy "REAL SUNSHINE" "NATURAL GRAZING" and a "NORMAL TORTOISE LIFE rather than the artificial one I can provide here. I am absolutely thrill to be a foster mommy right now but nervous that I am not doing everthing "right". I never imagined how much work it would be to care for a tortoise in captivity, and how important husbandry was. It is truly worth it. She is a beautiful wonderful animal. SHe is cute as a button when she has grass and cactus fruit smooshed all over her face. For now, she's my little piglet and I adore her!

Thank you.

Janine

The red bulb is a great way to keep her warm. Yes, aloe is good just rub a little on her head.
You are NOT a bad tortoise mommie...just new like I said. Don't worry so much. She will be fine, I see you have already been told about the bulbs, so just follow what Patsy told you and you'll be fine. Keep us posted on hers and your situation...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.