Am I anthropomorphizing in such a way as to stress my desert tortoise?

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
Her name is Cholla, she's three years old, and she seems to like to "snuggle" under my chin. This has been going on for a year or more. She'll crawl up my chest and rest gently under my chin or between my cheek and shoulder. She'll do this even for a couple of hours, if, say, I'm sitting watching a movie or a baseball game on television.

I'm thinking that she may simply like the warmth and/or have a sense that she's in a comfortably familiar spot.

Or could I be projecting this onto her and stressing her out, rather than providing comfort?

Or worse, I could actually be endangering her. I've read about the risks of letting your tortoise, especially a little one, roam your house, and my husband and I do not permit that. However I do let her do this "snuggle" thing, partly, I admit, because I enjoy it. Among other things she makes little nibbling motions against my neck that feel like she's giving me a tiny tortoise hickey.

All very cute, but please let me know if I need, for Cholla's sake, to put an end to "snuggle time"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If her appetite and behavior is normal and she's not roaming loose on the floor, I see no harm in it. What's the point of having pets if we can't enjoy them? I hold my skink while I'm watching tortoises. I put my snake on my shoulders and walk around with her. It no different.

As long as you are watching for, and not seeing, signs of stress, I say enjoy your time with your tortoise how you want to.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
If her appetite and behavior is normal and she's not roaming loose on the floor, I see no harm in it. What's the point of having pets if we can't enjoy them? I hold my skink while I'm watching tortoises. I put my snake on my shoulders and walk around with her. It no different.

As long as you are watching for, and not seeing, signs of stress, I say enjoy your time with your tortoise how you want to.
Thank you for your reply.