alternatives to terracotta sauce water dish?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
does anyone know any good low sided alternatives to plant sauce water dishes? i've been getting a bunch of seepers lately that slowly lose water as if they are porous

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Following because I run into this problem constantly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't think of anything sorry mine don't seep but if they did I would put up with it personally. I don't honestly think you find anything that is non-porous that doesn't but it will be interesting to see what others think

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I can't think of anything sorry mine don't seep but if they did I would put up with it personally. I don't honestly think you find anything that is non-porous that doesn't but it will be interesting to see what others think

well these are so porous that they seep out in about 2 hours my red foot gets soaked 3 times a week but still he loves his water dish

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get the ones that are glazed. They won't seep water. If they seem too slippery for the size tort you may have, add a flat rock or tile to it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are glazed, there should be no way they can leak. Are you sure its evaporation from the heat?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
If they are glazed, there should be no way they can leak. Are you sure its evaporation from the heat?

yeah it's not near the heat source and i hit the water and dish with my temp gun and it comes up as 80 which is about the ambient temp overall

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I use a pyrex pie dish for my little red and she gets in and out easily and spends a ton of time in there.

Meganolvt

Michigan
I use a plastic pie-type pan that I got on clearance at Wal-Mart. It is probably 18 or so inches in diameter and shallow, plastic, and it works great. It also came with a lid, so I really got 2. This kind of thing is usually in with the plastic "summer" type picnic dishes.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I use plastic plant saucers and also plastic food plates used for little kids.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I use plastic plant saucers and also plastic food plates used for little kids.

how big are your animals going in and out of the plastic plant saucers? i've been worried about them being to slick or leaching chemical's out

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A pic to show the difference.tercot.jpg The dark color ones are not glazed either but are made of a different type of clay. They hold water much better than the old type.I got mine at walmart, they are mixed in with the regular old color ones and are the same price, These are the 4 inch size but they have the larger ones also.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
A pic to show the difference.View attachment 165315 The dark color ones are not glazed either but are made of a different type of clay. They hold water much better than the old type.I got mine at walmart, they are mixed in with the regular old color ones and are the same price, These are the 4 inch size but they have the larger ones also.

mine looks like the one on the left. i wonder if it's possible for the glaze to just gradually break down over time?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mine looks like the one on the left. i wonder if it's possible for the glaze to just gradually break down over time?
Not that I know of, unless maybe if you are washing it with bleach or something, then maybe. I have both glazed and unglazed. i had one unglazed that would seep out, the other unglazed hasn't. Most come from Home Depot. Maybe it's just depending on the quality of clay from one store to the next. The glazed ones have never seeped. They are glazed on the inside, nice and shiny smooth. Pie dishes would work good for a tort that can't break them. Stones in the bottom will help to get out if your tort has a problem with it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

If yours is that left one, that's not glazed. The glazed ones look like they've been coated with clear nail polish LOL and they are usually colored. I've had red, white and green.

I still think a paint roller tray will work very well for you. Shadow beach leading to a deeper pool, what more could a redfoot want? :tort: