Alternative to Testudo mix

Ixorya

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hi, I am wondering if this “Zesty Sprouting Mix" can be used? I am trying to get some seeds and I can't get the Testudo mix from Tortoise Supply shipped over (Shipping issues, had to get the seeds returned). I have no issues shipping from iHerb from the past and I happen to see this.

The ingredients are mainly clover seeds which are found in some other tortoise seed mix, so I am hoping can be used. I can't find all the ingredients on the https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ website so I want to make sure.

It is not as comprehensive as the other mixes. But I can't find any other alternatives locally. I can get bermuda couch grass seeds though. Not sure if that's a good staple.

Link:
https://sg.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-real-food-zesty-sprouting-mix-16-oz-454-g/

Ingredients:
(61%) Crimson clover seeds [85% Germination, 5% hard seed] [99.51% pure seed, 0.43% inert matter, 0.01% other crop, 0.05% weed seeds], (31%) fenugreek seeds [90% germination, 1% hard seed] [99.50% pure seed, 0.50% inert matter], (8%) radish seeds [80% germination, 0% hard seed] [98.00% pure seed, 2.00% inert matter].

TisMary

New York
Hi, I am wondering if this “Zesty Sprouting Mix" can be used? I am trying to get some seeds and I can't get the Testudo mix from Tortoise Supply shipped over (Shipping issues, had to get the seeds returned). I have no issues shipping from iHerb from the past and I happen to see this.

The ingredients are mainly clover seeds which are found in some other tortoise seed mix, so I am hoping can be used. I can't find all the ingredients on the https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ website so I want to make sure.

It is not as comprehensive as the other mixes. But I can't find any other alternatives locally. I can get bermuda couch grass seeds though. Not sure if that's a good staple.

Link:
https://sg.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-real-food-zesty-sprouting-mix-16-oz-454-g/

Ingredients:
(61%) Crimson clover seeds [85% Germination, 5% hard seed] [99.51% pure seed, 0.43% inert matter, 0.01% other crop, 0.05% weed seeds], (31%) fenugreek seeds [90% germination, 1% hard seed] [99.50% pure seed, 0.50% inert matter], (8%) radish seeds [80% germination, 0% hard seed] [98.00% pure seed, 2.00% inert matter].
Hello @Ixorya - distilling this ingredient list, I'm seeing the following breakdown:
  • crimson clover seeds (61%)
  • fenugreek seeds (31%)
  • radish seeds (8%)
Don't know what kind of tortoise you have. Clover can be high in protein, so if protein is something you should limit, I'd make sure you feed something else with it. Fenugreek comes with some warnings (for people anyway) from the US National Institute of Health regarding possible respiratory issues for those who have problems in that area: Toxicological properties of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum). Radishes are technically in the Mustard Family (Brassicaceae); Tortoise Table Plant Database warns, in general, that family's plants contain glusinolates (goitrogenic glycosides) which can interfere with thyroid function and possibly cause kidney and liver damage if fed as a major part of the diet (but small quantities should be fine).

So, you're probably good as long as you provide other greens as well. Good for you growing your own! 3 botany points for you! ?

Ixorya

Earth
Thank you for the reply! I have a Indian Star Tortoise.

I'll get it then! Will try to source for other seeds to add to the mix. ?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Nothing on that list is harmful as part of a varied diet.

The Tortoise Table is designed for tortoise owners in the United Kingdom and will not contain references to many great foods found in South East Asia. If you read all the way through this thread you may find some foods already available to you:

Good luck!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
When i see clovers, dandys, plantain etc go to seed around my yard.. i throw them into my outdoor enclosures and now its a free weed fest in there. I was actually surprised it worked so well. And of course they self seed and just spread even more

Ixorya

Earth
Nothing on that list is harmful as part of a varied diet.

The Tortoise Table is designed for tortoise owners in the United Kingdom and will not contain references to many great foods found in South East Asia. If you read all the way through this thread you may find some foods already available to you:

Good luck!

Thank you for the link! This is actually exactly what I am facing. The vegetables in the grocery store are just not listed on The Tortoise Table (even after translation). Furthermore, the recommended endives are not always available (I can't find any escaroles locally, they might just be named differently. will need help finding them).

I recently found a few other types of endives (that are not labeled endives) that are available and have been rotating them. I hope they are ok to feed. Will be listing them here in case some should not be fed.

1633698477060.jpeg
九白菜 / 潮州白菜 / Teochew Bai / Jiu Bai Cai / Kao Pek

1633698950115.jpeg
皇白菜 / Pa Bo Chye

1633698908016.jpeg
黄京白 / Local Endives

shopping

货白菜 / Thai Endives

1633699133160.jpeg1633699139554.jpeg
These should be the "normal" Endives that are recommended. These are rare in Singapore though I managed to find them once. These cost 2x as much as the other vegetables.

images

Red Chicory Lettuce. Another rarer find. They cost 5x as much as the other vegetables.

I also mix in other vegetables I happen to have for human consumption (mixed greens, lollo bionda, romaine, napa cabbage, etc.)

P.S. I bought the pack of seeds and just grew 10g of seeds. Hope they grow fast! :D
P.P.S. I can't find most of the staples in the local grocery store from the link attached... TT^TT

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The ones you have taken pictures of are actually all brassicas—brassicas are fine as part of a varied diet but shouldn’t provide the bulk of it. Poking around I see that sometimes these vegetables are labeled as endives in Asia but they are not actually in that family. Don’t worry about it; names mean different things everywhere. Escarole, which you are also in search of, is just another true chicory.

There really is no reason you need to be buying something that costs five times as much as other vegetables. You’ve got romaine and lollo bionda in there (both chicories) and that will do you for the time being.

I have zero idea how Singapore is set up for grocery shopping. Is it all “formal” grocery stores or are there any market stalls? My farmers market has far more choices than most Asian markets available to me.

Have they got kang kong there? That’s a nice one to feed. Or possibly wosun? That’s a true endive and one with some nice fiber if you are able to feed some of the stem. Young or old are both okay although I think you’d have to chop up the stem of older ones. My Russian finds them a bit hard to manage otherwise.

Your variety is getting pretty good. What I mostly see you missing here is fiber, which is very important. I’m trying to think what might be available to you that is high in fiber; the likeliest I can think of would be something in the hibiscus family. Star tortoises (I think that’s what you have there) eat a fair amount of sourleaf (gongura) in their native diet but I don’t know if you have access to that. Are you familiar with hibiscus? Any relative would be fine.

Another way some people add fiber to the diet is by supplementing with some pellet food, which is perfectly fine. I see Zoo Med brand turtle food available for sale in Singapore. Zoo Med is a good brand if you can get it for tortoises—the ”Natural Grassland” diet is probably the best one for you. You can feed this dry or mush it up; I believe most babies like it mushy. It’s got grass—that’s where the fiber is—and some dried endives in there as well.

Honestly if you were to post an image with the Chinese name I can probably reverse search a plant and tell you what it is in terms of tortoise suitability.