Alright, how am I doing? (First Tort Enclosure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
When I joined a few months ago I was very much set on getting a Leopard Tortoise. My feelings haven't changed, but I've grown continually more nervous about ending up in an apartment where it won't be able to get out much when it's larger.

For that reason, I've decided on a Greek instead, which luckily have the same care requirements, but stay a much more manageable size.

That aside! I've been doing bucketloads of research (I'm sure at least some of you have noticed) and I'm starting to feel pretty confident about this. I've been slowly collecting supplies & putting together my enclosure over several weeks, and this is where I'm at;

(I'm super annoyed at myself, I have a digital camera, but I can't find it, so shoddy cameraphone pics it is! 40gal, tank by the way.)

0426121944a.jpg

0426121944b.jpg

0426121945.jpg

The substrate (top soil) is 4-5 inches at it's deepest point, and 1-2 at it's shallowest, I have it set up as a gentle slope. There are a bunch of silks & I'm planning on planting some groundcover, and maybe a few edible flowers.

I have a 50gal UTH, a 125w UVB (screen is cut away underneath), & a 75w CHE. There is also an 18" strip light that I do not have on for the pictures.

I have ordered a digital thermometer & hygrometer with a probe, and also a temperature gun, but they have not arrived yet.

I'm waiting on getting some ceramic pots (for hides) for when I actually get the tort, since I don't know exactly what size it will be. I will probably end up papering the back (& possibly sides), but I don't want something that is going to look terribly cheesey. O, I also used packing tape to seal off most of the screen, I just left some open around the lights, to prevent fires and whatnot.

What do you guys think, am I missing anything glaringly obvious? I'm just such a nervous Nelly, I need a little feedback from people who know what they are looking at!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Looks really good!! My only suggestion is watch the temp!! To me that seems like a LOT of wattage for a 40 gal breeder. If you don't have a infrared temp gun, in my opinion it is a must have item. Make sure you know the temperature at ground level, right on the substrate.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Looks very nice to me, I like the plants where it can get out of the direct light when he wants to. aluminum foil works for sealing the top also.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Tim/Robin said:
Looks really good!! My only suggestion is watch the temp!! To me that seems like a LOT of wattage for a 40 gal breeder. If you don't have a infrared temp gun, in my opinion it is a must have item. Make sure you know the temperature at ground level, right on the substrate.

Thank you! And yes, once the gun & thermometer/hygrometer arrive that is the first thing I am going to check. I'm more than willing to go with lower wattages, I just didn't know where to start when I bought them!

Len said:
Looks very nice to me, I like the plants where it can get out of the direct light when he wants to. aluminum foil works for sealing the top also.

If the packing tape doesn't prove to be up the job I will try the foil, I'm just a bit of a slave to aesthetics! :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Glass will help keep the moisture in also,you can have it cut to the correct size to fit around the light(s), and it looks nice.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It looks great, but I agree that the wattage is going to be too much. I have a lizard in a 40 breeder terrarium. He has a 100 watt day-glo heat lamp (only heat source) on one end and an 18 inch UVB tube. Under his hot spot it is about 100 degrees and his warm end is in the low to mid 70's. And in the summer I have to use a rheostat to set that 100 watt to low. In the winter it is on high. Of course he has no special humidity requirements so his terrarium is kept dry. Which is going to raise the temps a little. If I had to keep the cage moist I suppose I'd need a little more heat.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks so much everyone! :D

I will be sure to keep a very close eye on the temperatures when my measuring devices arrive.

I am...giddily excited, and I still don't even have anything like a date for when I will actually be getting the tortoise!

Jacob said:
Looks Great! are those real plants?

I wish! No, they are silks.

Status
Not open for further replies.