Aloha from Maui!

MauiSulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Maui, Hawaii
I'm a new Sulcata Tortoise parent and as far as I can tell, the tortoise I've rescued is a baby, approximately 3-4 months old. I've already found a lot of helpful information on this site, so thank you!

I live on the island of Maui, Hawaii, and have pretty limited tortoise resources. So far I've been unable to find a vet on island who knows anything about tortoises or reptiles at all, so I'm a little concerned about that. If anyone has any suggestions about this - what to do when there's no vet available in my area - that would be great.

Fortunately the weather is pretty ideal, so Darwin (the tortoise) gets to spend several hours most days outside grazing on weeds and grass in a well-protected area in our backyard. The rest of the time he's (actually we don't know the gender, but I think of Darwin as a "he", so we're just going with that) in a Zoo Med Tortoise Table that I think is set up pretty well for him. I will likely be asking more specific questions about this setup though soon.

I look forward to getting to know some of you and learning all about how to best care for Darwin. Mahalo in advance for all of your help!

Here are a few pics of Darwin enjoying his favorite snack - small dandelion weeds from the backyard.
IMG_3883.JPG IMG_3853.JPG

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Cute tortoise name!! And welcome :)

Just in September, my husband and I stayed at an Air B&B called 'A Tortoise and Bird Rescue' in west Maui. The owner, Kaimana, is very nice and has had Sulcata tortoises in Hawaii for years (she has 3 full grown ones and a bunch of times ones). Maybe you could look her up and see if she knows of any resources to help you, like a vet!

MauiSulcata

Maui, Hawaii
Cute tortoise name!! And welcome :)

Just in September, my husband and I stayed at an Air B&B called 'A Tortoise and Bird Rescue' in west Maui. The owner, Kaimana, is very nice and has had Sulcata tortoises in Hawaii for years (she has 3 full grown ones and a bunch of times ones). Maybe you could look her up and see if she knows of any resources to help you, like a vet!

Thanks for the info! I will definitely see if I can find some info on Kaimana. If you have any contact info you can share, that would be great! Were they in Lahaina? Kaanapali? Thanks again!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Thanks for the info! I will definitely see if I can find some info on Kaimana. If you have any contact info you can share, that would be great! Were they in Lahaina? Kaanapali? Thanks again!

She's in Lahaina. You can find her through Air B&B for sure, since that's how we found her (though I'm not sure if you'd need to create a log in just to contact her). If you need the link, I can PM you. Or perhaps you have a better way of finding her contact info locally :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I love Lahaina, granted I spent most of my time there under water. Maui is probably my favorite island and you have a lucky tortoise, I wish I could have such great outdoor conditions for my critters!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!!
I haven't made it to Maui yet!
Only the Big Island and O'AHU!
Someday though.

Darwin is a cutie!!