Almost too energetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I am a newbie when it comes to tortoises, but I have had plenty of experience with other exotics. My baby redfoot is only about 3-4 months old and he is very energetic. I take him outside as much as I can. Recently I changed his bedding from rabbit pellets to terrarium "astroturf" stuff. I thought it would be easier and cheaper, but he recently was walking around and trying to climb the walls and flipped over. I righted him almost immediately but I am scared that he might have lasting damage from it. Will he be alright?

I think I am just going to put the rabbit pellets back in because I am scared that this will happen again when I am not here watching him.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have babies flip over every day. Don't worry he/she will be fine, even if they are that way for an extended period of time. I am sure that it is stressful for them as they usually poop on themselves, but I have never lost an animal this way. If they are outdoors and flip over in full sun this could be a different matter, as they could cook in a short period of time. But this happens in the wild all the time and they right themselves. No one is out there looking after them. LOL I have noticed on VERY young babies that if it happens that it can cause their shell to flatten temporarily. No worries mate. Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Perhaps the pellets {not being a solid surface} made it difficult for him to actually climb..? Maybe you can make the walls more vertical to prevent the climbing..? I keep very little in my enclosure for King Tortie to be able to climb upon in a height tall enuf for him to flip over, for I, too, would worry like crazy, LOL.

Bestest wishes to you & your little guy ~
Purpod

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
The pellets may make it more difficult to climb, but it would also make it more difficult to dig in and right himself. So it's a mixed bag...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pellets aren't the best substrate for a redfoot tortoise. They come from the rain forest, and have evolved to live under humid conditions. Pellets are dry and can't be moistened. I'll relate a story (oh no! not another story!!) about pellets:

Four years ago I hatched some leopard tortoise eggs and kept one because it was the first. At that time, I was keeping my indoor tortoises on oat hay pellets. I never really kept anything long enough to realize anything bad about keeping them on pellets. They were easy to keep clean and wouldn't hurt the tortoise if eaten. So I had this little leopard on pellets for four years. Since that time, I have learned that all tortoises require a little humidity in their lives...not just rain forest tortoises, but desert-type tortoises too. So we have to keep them on a substrate that we can moisten. But since my little leopard was kept on dry pellets, he is VERY pyramided.

14yroldleopard-5.jpg

14yroldleopard-4.jpg

14yroldleopard-2.jpg

This baby was fed all the correct foods, weeds, grasses, dark leafy green, and all the best supplements including calcium and vitamens. He spent the good weather outside in the pen you can see in the background of the second picture, with plenty of sun and shade. The only thing I did wrong was keep him too dry.

If you see such results in a desert-type tortoise that is from a very dry home range, you can only imagine what a lack of humidity is going to do to your little red foot, that comes from the jungles of South America.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jessi, Red., needs high humidity and likes it warm. Try 'Mosser Lee' sphagnum Moss as substrate (you can get it a Lowes), moisened. Also his temps should be, ambient low 80s, in hide mid to low 80s, (this info per Turtletary.com) Check out the care sheets on http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm and Redfoot.com. His hatchlings and adults are amazing.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't think that it is available most places, but I have used sugarcane basage as a substrate very successfully, you can moisten it and it will not get fungus or mold, smells nice and harmless if you tort eats it. I do live in South Florida though where it is available. Douglas

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Perhaps I am mistaken, but I always thought that pyramiding with Leopards was a calcium issue..?
Just curious, as the post above does not imply such...
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.