Almost time for Mikey

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Czar Mikeys palace is almost complete! 3 weeks and counting.... we are getting so excited to raise our tortoise

Attachments

• 20190824_170717.jpg
    20190824_170717.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What kind of tortoise? The substrate looks too dry. Gotta keep it damp for humidity and to keep it from getting dusty.

Those clamps on your light fixtures aren't reliable. They always fail. Best case is broken glass and live electricity in your tortoise's enclosure. Worse case, your house burns down. Hang the lamps from over head. This will also make it easier to adjust the height to get the correct basking temperature under it.

What type of bulbs are in those fixtures?

Its great that you are working out all the details before the tortoise arrives.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
A Russian, I just put the substrate down this evening, I was going to start misting it a few days before we get him, I wasn't sure how long I should let it sit damp. I have the clamp zip tied to the encloser, it's wire, no glass. I can adjust it at any height by moving the grid pieces. one is a 26watt UVB and the other is a 150watt basking bulb, both by zoo med. I have a tendency to be way over prepared..... thank you for looking out and the advice!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
The substrate will need more than a misting. It needs to be moist from top to bottom. No soaking wet but wet enough that it sticks together if you grab it.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
The substrate will need more than a misting. It needs to be moist from top to bottom. No soaking wet but wet enough that it sticks together if you grab it.
at all times? i keep reading about to much moisture and respiratory issues? wouldn't dessert tortises need a drier environment ? very thankful for advice and help, its our first reptile

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Respiratory issues only happen if you have a cold wet environment. If it's wet and warm, then everything will be happy.

Remember, your tortoise is a living thing. All living things require water, and a little extra in its enclosure prevents accidently dehydrating it.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Respiratory issues only happen if you have a cold wet environment. If it's wet and warm, then everything will be happy.

Remember, your tortoise is a living thing. All living things require water, and a little extra in its enclosure prevents accidently dehydrating it.
ok! that makes perfect sense. I'll get some water fixed in. I also thought about creating a humid hide with some spagnum moss, good or bad idea? I know nothing about moss lol

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Great idea, just remember to change the moss frequently as it can get moldy

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
hmm... that makes me nervous lol. he will be so tiny at first im not sure if I'll bre able to tell