Almost 20,000 tortoises and turtles smuggled in six years Through Thailand

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
9/26/14 - Wildlife Extra

Nearly 20,000 tortoises and freshwater turtles have been smuggled through Thailand in six years says a new report by the wildlife monitoring agency TRAFFIC.

Their report, entitled Seizures of Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles in Thailand 2008-2013, analysed 53 reported seizures, more than half of which took place at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok.

But despite this staggering number they found just a third of the seizures resulted in the arrest of 40 suspects, and only six successful prosecutions were recorded.

“It is encouraging that enforcement officers in Thailand are carrying out such significant seizures, but it really is the follow-up investigations and successful prosecutions that make these seizures effective,” said Dr Chris Shepherd, Regional Director for TRAFFIC in South-East Asia.

Of the 33 species seizures, the Southeast Asian box turtle was the most numerous, with approximately 7,120 animals seized in a single case in 2011, while almost 6,000 Indian star tortoises were seized during the six year period.

Illegal shipments were found to enter by air from countries in East Africa and South Asia, and by road from neighbouring countries through overland routes along the Mekong coast and at other border crossings.

Tortoises and freshwater turtles are commonly traded for food, medicine and the exotic pet trade.

Trade in these species is prohibited or restricted under various national and international legislations, such as the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). Additionally, in Thailand permits are required for the import and export of all wildlife.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Man...so sad to read stuff like this!! Because its just wiping out the species! I just don't understand the whole medicine thing. Let's kill a tiger to make medicine from its paw and such, it breaks my heart! It's happening all around the world. Soon the only turtles and tortoises left will be us with pets :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Man...so sad to read stuff like this!! Because its just wiping out the species! I just don't understand the whole medicine thing. Let's kill a tiger to make medicine from its paw and such, it breaks my heart! It's happening all around the world. Soon the only turtles and tortoises left will be us with pets :(

That would be the true crime....and a reason it is a sad thing when wild caught animals are sought out by people....terrible.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:( It's so terrible to read stuff like this! But thank you, for sharing.