All Living Things bulb brand petsmart only

ecstasyrs90

5 Year Member
To all my fellow reptile and tortoise turtle owners please read this and please pass it on to other forums if you can. We can save a pets life. In the past month I have had two bulbs by the brand All Living Things which is Petsmart home brand only found at their stores, blow up or separate.

One day I was home by myself sitting in another room when I heard glass breaking. Immediately I thought someone was breaking in. After some investigation I found the culprit was this bulb blew up out of nowhere leaving hundreds of small glass shards all over my russian tortoise tank. I picked her up and checked her eyes etc and rinsed her off. Luckly I was home at the time. Glass was even on the carpet out of the tank. Thank God I was home bwcause what if she stepped on it or even worse ate it and it cut up her digestive system and she would have died. And not to mention what if the fixture started on fire and my whole place burned down?

I emailed Petsmart on September 22 and was told they would follow up within 2 to 3 days. NEVER HAPPENED.

Last night I hear a weird rattle from the clamp lamp yet again (different tank and different russian tortoise)..so I push it up the lamp only to find that the bulb separated from the screw on metal base. This morning I called corporate and read them the riot act. I have yet to get a solution to this. Pet owners and lovers I URGE you to beware and pass this on. I would hate to see your precious babies injured, I just got lucky.

Also the exact bulb is All Living Things Neodymium Basking bulb 100 watts.

Attachments

• 1382567678275.jpg
    1382567678275.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 1382567900168.jpg
    1382567900168.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 209

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad no one got hurt or burned. Couple questions, if you don't mind. Did you have it in a ceramic socket suited for the size wattage of the bulb? Also, was it in a deep dome or a dome that is more flared out?
I am asking just too see if its the brand of bulb or something else. Either way, thanks for the heads up and I won't be buying that brand.
Also, you should not give up on Petco Persist, until they give you some kind of answer. Let us know, if you ever do get any satisfaction out of them.

OOPS, PETSMART NOT PETCO

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the info. I almost tried that brand the other day

ecstasyrs90

5 Year Member
The dome was correct for wattage and it is more flared out. Thing is I have been a turtle and tortoise mom for 10 years now and no other bulb ever did this, so I really think it is not something I did. Unless it was a bad batch of this brand. Imo 2 in one months time is not a coincidence. I never even had household bulbs do this. I will let you all know outcome. I will not stop contacting them until I get some answers or satisfaction.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think it's anything you did either. Sometimes though those things can be overlooked and sometimes the really domed reflectors can build up heat and possibly cause something like this. I will not be using them. Again, thanks for the heads up and good luck with getting Petco to do something.
OOPS AGAIN, PETSMART, NOT PETCO

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
I don't think it's anything you did either. Sometimes though those things can be overlooked and sometimes the really domed reflectors can build up heat and possibly cause something like this. I will not be using them. Again, thanks for the heads up and good luck with getting Petco to do something.

"Petsmart". Not Petco. Lets wait until Petco actually does something bad to go after them. :D

Thanks for the heads up ecstasyrs.

mikeh

5 Year Member
This is one of the worst bulbs on the market . Some time ago, I looked at these bulbs at the store, couple of them fell apart in my hands.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
wellington said:

"Petsmart". Not Petco. Lets wait until Petco actually does something bad to go after them. :D

Thanks for the heads up ecstasyrs.

OOPS, can ya tell I'm not thrilled with Petco's stuff:D. See, Tom, now you made more work for me. Now I have to go tell the other people I told its Petsmart instead:( :D

Thanks Tom for pointing it out, even though I gave you a bit of a hard time about it:D

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I bought a small heat mat from that brand for my hatchlings. The have about 3.5 inches of substrate thank God I didn't have them in there . I put the mat under the 20 gallon tank and it heated the whole thing up it was hot to the touch. I put my finger into the substrate and it was as hot as coffee. I have callused hands and it burnt me.. I will just pay for the more expensive options than buy that brand again

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I stopped buying their brand because they burn out fast. Never had any of the 75 watt ones blow up on me. Quick question that would seem appropriate for this thread, is it ok to use a regular 60 watt light bulb? I spend a HUGE ammount on these special bulbs and they seem to burn out and not provide any more heat than a standard reveal bulb.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you are wanting from the bulb is UVB. A standard light bulb, while providing the required heat, will not provide the UVB.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have a UVB bar. I have been using this brand of bulb specifically for heat but if a regular bulb will work for heat, why couldn't one be used with a UVB just like the expensive ones? Seems like those are more of a gimmick if I can just use a regular old light bulb, at least until they stop making them in December.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can use a regular bulb for heat and light only and during the day. Should not be left on at night and they do not give out any type of uv.

ecstasyrs90

5 Year Member
Yea because I have 9 turtles and tortoises this is why I went the cheap route. Never again. Petsmart was really prompt THIS time around and I guess they are going to send me a gift card. I am just so glad none of my babies got hurt. And wow nice to know the heat mats are a disaster. It is a shame. Be careful reptile owners.

ecstasyrs90

5 Year Member
Update..the local petsmart called me after having my info forwarded to them. They gave me new bulbs and fixture and put a call into more research on the 100 watt bulbs from their line. Hopefully they will resolve this so nobody else has issues.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I'm glad to hear you finally got through to them. That is a scary though, a bulb exploding then the tortoise(s) eating the shards...

skeels

5 Year Member
Thank you for the heads up, fortunately I use MVB with a ceramic heater for extra heat. If you are looking for a replacement that doesn't break the bank, look into the ceramic heaters that screw directly into a light socket. They provide heat only of course, but can be used day or night. In my leopard tort cage I have 2 ceramics and a MVB because it's freezing here and his cage is open top.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I had bought this exact same bulb, and after reading this, I decided I am not gonna buy this brand again. I will spend the extra money for better quality bulbs. Thank you for the warning.

Yesterday I was packing up my sullies to take them to my mother in law's farm, and I unplugged their light fixtures. I noticed that the basking bulb was loose in the socket, so I let it cool down for a minute, then tried to tighten it up. Much to my dismay, the light bulb broke and the glass completely shattered at the metal base where you screw it into the light fixture. Thankfully I was nowhere near the tank so it was not possible for any glass to fall in, but still. These light bulbs suck, this brand sucks, and are dangerous. (And yes, I double checked my light fixture to make sure it could accommodate this wattage light bulb)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386255147.910240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: