All American Reticulated Pits

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
All American and native born. Here's a couple pics of my 5 day old Crotalus molossus X atrox. With the F1 hybrid its a Blacktail Diamondback. Parents are beautiful.:cool:

She finally lost her umbilical cord and used up her yoke and is ready to shed. Maybe next week is the first meal.

Found some brown outdoor carpeting thats ribbed and got good traction. It beats the newspapers. Padlocked cage should keep out the bad people.

nina_5daysold2.jpg

nina_5daysold.jpg

I'm new to the Pits. This one is very curious and likes to watch me or study me. She actually comes out and watches me as I eat by her cage. So the fascination is mutual, I guess.

No worries as I have some pro tools and gear on the way. I designed the cage so it will easy to transfer her out into a holding pen while I do the cleaning and change out the carpet.

Cheers!

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
She is beautiful! I would love to have one but I have kids and stupid friends and would be afraid someone would get hurt.

What did you name her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The older I get, the easier it is for me to forget stuff, but I don't think I knew that you were into snakes. Hard to tell, but she looks pretty big for being such a youngster. I'm not a big fan of snakes, but I appreciate that you've shared your picture with us.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Thanks for the compliments.

For now her name is Ninia.

Looking for names of poisons used in mythology, history to create a name.

Yvonne- I have always had a soft spot for Creatures Great and Small.

Size? 12 inches. Not going to double check that. The umbilical cord just disappeared yesterday. Really was Captive born on the 4th of July.

When a friend offers you the one reptile you and every other (snake) enthusiast always wonders about, you go for it. Seeing his pro snake cabinets and exotic collection brought back memories of the Eastern Chain Kingsnake I waited all Summer as a kid (25yrs ago) for it to hatch. That snake was like gold to me and my friends.

The only times I ever got bit by any snake was doing something stupid, mostly mishandling during rushing to capture the biggest snake we could find for the Cub Scout critter crawl at summer camp. I was always the one that had the courage to handle snakes larger than we were. Even adult Gardner snake bites are painful on little fingers.

I am not taking any chance with this snake. I ordered some pro handling equipment and can make my own shields. Captive Rattlesnakes have a tendency to learn and respect their handlers, so the chances of a bite goes down. BUT it only takes one (expensive) bite to ruin a good day.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Happy girl after shedding.

DSC00926.jpg

Notice that the colors are more vibrant and that the olive is coming out. The olive is from her Dad. Hard pattern to notice in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.