All about the weather

idcowden

Location (City and/or State)
Walton-on-Thames
Hi all,

I have two tortoises aged 10 months. I'm in Surry in the UK and the weather is currently in the 22-25 degree C bracket, dropping to 12-16 degrees at night.
For the last few days / nights I have been letting the little chelonians stay in outdoor tortoise tables. I moved the tables yesterday as they weren't getting sun until about 10am. They now get sun from about 7am.
However they do seem to have gone off their food a bit over the last couple of days.

One of them was up and about this morning when I went out, the other was still buried in the soil.
They had their morning bath, and took themselves out of it as they usually do. However the perkier one only had a quick nibble then went off to the corner of her table and the other ignored her food and dug herself down again.
Is it just not warm enough for them? Should I bring them back in? There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice about outdoor / indoor etc.

Advice appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

I have two tortoises aged 10 months. I'm in Surry in the UK and the weather is currently in the 22-25 degree C bracket, dropping to 12-16 degrees at night.
For the last few days / nights I have been letting the little chelonians stay in outdoor tortoise tables. I moved the tables yesterday as they weren't getting sun until about 10am. They now get sun from about 7am.
However they do seem to have gone off their food a bit over the last couple of days.

One of them was up and about this morning when I went out, the other was still buried in the soil.
They had their morning bath, and took themselves out of it as they usually do. However the perkier one only had a quick nibble then went off to the corner of her table and the other ignored her food and dug herself down again.
Is it just not warm enough for them? Should I bring them back in? There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice about outdoor / indoor etc.

Advice appreciated.
So many people want to do this "all or nothing". I don't understand this. They don't have to be always inside, or always outside. Put them outside in their enclosure when temperatures are favorable and the sun is shining, and bring them back inside at night or on colder days. The best of both worlds. Little babies shouldn't be outside all day anyway. Wait until they are older and larger for that.

Please read this:

idcowden

Walton-on-Thames
So many people want to do this "all or nothing". I don't understand this. They don't have to be always inside, or always outside. Put them outside in their enclosure when temperatures are favorable and the sun is shining, and bring them back inside at night or on colder days. The best of both worlds. Little babies shouldn't be outside all day anyway. Wait until they are older and larger for that.

Please read this:

Thanks Tom, I have read it.
So would you just take them outside when the sun is shining at their age?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, I have read it.
So would you just take them outside when the sun is shining at their age?
I only put babies out for an hour or two a day. I increase the time as they gain size. I've done many side-by-side experiments with groups of clutch mates, and babies universally do better when housed mostly indoors. A lot better.