Alice Tried To Run The House

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
So Alice, the Sully, has 4 places to be during the day. My kitchen where she also sleeps under a heat element. She may also go out in the hot tub room. That is a greenhouse attached to my house on a cement slab. When the sun shines, it's warm enough to be there. She also has a corral just outside the hot tub room that she comes and goes at will when it's warm enough. She has been limited recently for hour temps are getting too cold for her. She also gets to come into our living room after she does all her "businesses". Can't let her do anything on my pine slatted floors...YUK.Just let me in there.jpg
So when she is in the hot tub room there is a door with a doggie door in it for our 6 pound Yorkies to go to the hot tub room if they would like. Well, Alice was in the hot tub room today and decided to bang on the door for she wanted to come visit the dogs. She looked as if she were saying, " Com'on guys, let me into the living room, now". She just can't understand why she can't use the door like the girls.. She actually chases or follows the girls around the room. She is so much fun to have around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cute pic. You do know the dangers of letting a tort, specially one that size, roaming the house? Just a friendly reminder and about torts and dogs don't mix well. Although the Yorkie probably would be the one getting hurt not the big sully.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So Alice, the Sully, has 4 places to be during the day. My kitchen where she also sleeps under a heat element. She may also go out in the hot tub room. That is a greenhouse attached to my house on a cement slab. When the sun shines, it's warm enough to be there. She also has a corral just outside the hot tub room that she comes and goes at will when it's warm enough. She has been limited recently for hour temps are getting too cold for her. She also gets to come into our living room after she does all her "businesses". Can't let her do anything on my pine slatted floors...YUK.View attachment 151876
So when she is in the hot tub room there is a door with a doggie door in it for our 6 pound Yorkies to go to the hot tub room if they would like. Well, Alice was in the hot tub room today and decided to bang on the door for she wanted to come visit the dogs. She looked as if she were saying, " Com'on guys, let me into the living room, now". She just can't understand why she can't use the door like the girls.. She actually chases or follows the girls around the room. She is so much fun to have around.

Oh my goodness, what an adorable picture an absolutely kissable face....fantastic...run little doggie run...lol....All work and no play makes Alice a dull girl...a little The Shining action,....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington, I only know that bacteria should not pass between the trio. What would happen to them?
I don't know what trio your talking about. However, tortoises can pick up things missed that is laying around a house, bite cords, etc and can get very sick or die. As for dogs, many dogs will use a tortoise as a chew toy. We have a thread about why tortoises and dogs don't mix, terrible damage or death can and eventually usually does happen, even with the best trained dogs. However, your tort is big and a yorkie is very small. In this situation your yorkie would probably get hurt if it didn't get out of the way quick enough. Just something to keep in mind. Also be sure the tort doesn't eat dog poop, oh yes, they like dog poop. Any meds, heart worm meds, etc should not be passed to your tort through the poop eating.
I love the pic, he actually looks like he is smiling. Can you post one of the whole tort, he looks huge, would love to see all of him.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
@wellington, When Alice, the sully, visits our living room, I am there at all times. She can't stay too long for I don't know when she may go wee wee. I have, sully proofed, the areas that she is running in. She only visits for a treat, maybe once every other week. I take the dog food and replace it with Alice food. She thinks she is gobbling up the dogs food.

Thanks for all the concerns. It certainly will make me more cautious in future visits.