Algae growth problem

Harpy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, Oregon
Strange Algae spots in turtle tank - Malaysian Box Turtle. All of the glass but only above the water line. I removed the turtle for cleaning...drained a bit...and within a day, the algae started showing up. Not sure why. This is white spotted blotches...Not Water spots but like mini blooms...sorry camera does not zoom in close enough for showing.

Any ideas what is causing this? And what is safe product to get rid of it???

Thanks in advance

Billie

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Is the tank in the direct sunlight of a window? That would cause extreme algae blooms. I would empty the tank and do a 1 part clorox bleach to 10 parts water solution and scrub the hell out of it. Be sure to rinse it very thoroughly and allow it to dry completely for a few hours before setting it back up.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Could you post some pictures anyway? What type of filters are you using? What's your tank in gallons?

Harpy

5 Year Member
Eugene, Oregon
Not near window. Algae growth started after turning off the uvb bulb so that should not be issue. Algae seemed to climb after turning off heater.

Tank is 75 gallons with 50 for water and rest for basking area. Filter is a Fluval 505. I will be replacing all gravel and basking platforms - in case it is breeding on those surfaces.

Will get photo up as soon as i figure out how to post it.

Is there a safer alternative to bleach? Maybe vinegar?

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hmm are you sure its an algae issue not a calcium issue from hard water? I have always used a 1 to 10 ratio and with a thorough rinse and good dry have never had any issues. But maybe someone could recommend an alternative.

Harpy

5 Year Member
Eugene, Oregon
Would it be on the dry half of the glass? There is no spray bar or misting...so not sure why...and why would it keep spreading. It is whitish in appearance and when I wipe it off is kind of crusty...not slimy like I would expect algae to be. Got to get photos...

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Yes it is usually above the water line. It is a very common issue with hard water. I would recommend you completely drain your tank, and wipe down the glass with white vinegar and a scrub pad to remove all build up. Refill with spring or distilled water....If that's why the issue is. We won't know until we can see some pictures though.

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
From what I can tell it just looks like calcium hard water stains. You can clean it with white vinegar, lemon juice and a scrub brush or a razor blade. Very common issue with turtle tanks. I would refill it with spring or distilled water it will help.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Not near window. Algae growth started after turning off the uvb bulb so that should not be issue. Algae seemed to climb after turning off heater.

Tank is 75 gallons with 50 for water and rest for basking area. Filter is a Fluval 505. I will be replacing all gravel and basking platforms - in case it is breeding on those surfaces.

Will get photo up as soon as i figure out how to post it.

Is there a safer alternative to bleach? Maybe vinegar?

Plain [ no-iodine ] pure salt! Salt is the cleaning agent for fresh water. Fresh water is the cleaning agent for 'salt-water' tanks. ( but the way you describe it.. it isn't algae - algae is always green )

A 75 gallon tank [ one anyway ] is 4' x 2' and however deep. Are you saying you basically have a 3' x 2' area sealed off with water in it and the rest is land area?

PLUS if it's one of these it is a "land" box turtle that likes the water!.. not the other way around. In other words.. a well planted land area [ to hide in ] 3-4 times the water surface area .. to soak, etc. in. It is in a sense an "aquatic-box turtle"!

FYI - I've had some 37 species of water turtles in the past 30 years.. and have hatched 6-7 of those as I recall...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Now that I've re-read your last post it's clear that you have a "basking-water turtle" set-up...