Aldabras

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No I am a teenager I meant to say, oh ok yes in am a teenager. I was trying to be mean it was just a mistake
Okay, so you are a teenager. You are looking to get either sulcatas to breed or an Aldabra as a pet. Is this for now while living at home with parents or in the future when you have your own place?
If for now, have you thought about how you would care for them if/when you go away for college? Would your parents be willing to learn about their care and take care of them when you can't? Depending on how young of a teenager you are, you could raise young ones and breed them when you are an adult and have your own place. Just some things for you to think about

BILBO-03

Ok I am trying to decide between a tortoise, bearded dragon, or a dog

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Ok I am trying to decide between a tortoise, bearded dragon, or a dog

They're very different pets, in terms of care, cost, and interaction. Are your parents/guardians supportive of all three? Do they understand the expense, space, and commitment required for giant tortoises? You'd be committing to lifelong care of a tortoise that needs tropical conditions all year round. If your family is going to be helping pay the bills and care for them, they need to know what they are getting into. It's not like a bearded dragon that will live in your room, or a dog that can roam free in the house.

BILBO-03

Yes they know they like all of them I just don't know what to get

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

BILBO-03

Ok what are the best dog breeds I like English Bulldogs,Doberman pinschers, German shepherds, and Llewelyn setters.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok what are the best dog breeds I like English Bulldogs,Doberman pinschers, German shepherds, and Llewelyn setters.
All those breeds need a confident pack leader with good training. I know nothing about the setter you mentioned except being a setter it needs good training too. The Bull dog will probably be the hardest to train. They are very stubborn. They also need more cautious care in hot temps. They can't go as long as the others when it comes to running and playing.

Rue

Canada
I think looking for, and researching, a new pet is a lot of fun! But I also think you need to decide what interests you the most. Your choices are all over the board, even within the dog breeds you listed.

Whatever you get, you have to be willing to look after it for its lifetime, and enjoy doing so. You have to be prepared to deal with issues specific to each animal.

As Tom said, the bearded dragon will be the 'easiest' to maintain.

A tortoise and a dog will need a safe, secure, fenced yard.

A dog needs to be trained (and I highly suggest signing up for dog training classes) and walked at least twice a day if you live in the city. Dogs with long hair need daily grooming. Dogs with short hair need less grooming, but they still shed, so you will have hair everywhere regardless. You have to be willing and able to go home to be with your dog, you can't just take off for a day, or a weekend, or even for an evening, without looking after the dog first.

If you miss a meal with a tortoise, the tortoise will still be fine.

However, it's easier to travel with a dog than a tortoise. Dogs like going for car rides and hiking. Tortoises, not so much.

Decide what you want the most, and what will be the easiest to manage. Then decide what aspects of the animal you enjoy the most...take it from there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Figure out what you want this way. Do you want an animal to play with or one not to play with?
If you want to play with an animal get a dog.
If you don't really care about playing with the animal then get a reptile.
If you choose reptile, then I think you should get a sulcata only because you have asked the most about them and seem to have a bigger interest in them.
Whatever you decide, do give it a lot of thought and be honest with yourself. Too many kids get an animal and once they are interested in sports or girls/boys depending, they lose all interest in the animal.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hey Bilbo... I get the feeling a dog would suit you really well. That's my vote. :) If you really want a tortoise, I would highly recommend a Russian tortoise. They are the easiest to care for and they are also the easiest to house as they only grow to be eight inches at the most. I've got one, it's awesome. :)