Aldabras - need companionship or not?

Moose

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This is a great conversation... As I have been contemplating if and when we should add another member to our family of 1 male Sulcata - "Moose" is about 22 years old and 150#. We have greatly enjoyed our experience with Moose for the past 5 years and I feel confident that he is enjoying himself as well - BUT I am very interested in adding another to the family but am also very concerned that doing so could destroy the perfect environment we have already established. I would love you have another large Sulcata or even an Aldabra... My interest is not for breeding but for the overall enjoyment that they offer and the life we could give it.

I hope this conversation continues and if there is any feedback for my post they are welcome!

Any specific thoughts on having an adult Sulcata and Aldabra share a large enclosure?

Alaskamike

South Florida
This is interesting. I know in general , most discourage mixing species in a common environment. Some of this is due to the different pathogens they might carry.

Some is the concern for battles that could develop. I am currently raising a Sulcata and an Aldabra. Looks like they will be my only 2 I keep long term. They have separate outdoor enclosures and hide boxes. Both young ( 5 & 7 lbs now ).

They are brought out to my large lanai daily to roam around and get fed daily ( under supervision ). They eat together without incident.

I have a 1/4 acre I can fence off completely for them when their size needs it. And I'm wondering the same thing can an Aldabra & Sulcata share an environment or will I need to make a dividing wall.

The real answer may be it depends. All animals have a certain personality as well as instinct. They are not all the same.

That said , it is probable that the size of the environment is also a major factor. I would be interested in input from those who have experience with mixing the two - especially mature ones.

Aaron23

5 Year Member
@Tom
believe me, we are so many scientists and keepers that want to kow, why it is so difficult to breed Aldabras!
And want to do it better.
When somebody will find the answer, we all will hear about it!

I myself just answered this simple question with my personal experience as keeper and in studying the animals in the only natural Habitat as well as in several semi-wild Groups on easily accesible inner seychelles Islands.

Of course we also see individuals resting alone, but the majority gathers for resting and sleeping together in Homeland AND in our own Group.
So I simply gave my personal OPINION that I always would adwice to Keep them in a Group as big as affordable. (this is the main Problem!!) This is not a scientific Statement.

@ben awes
the actual Population on Aldabra Atoll 2015 is at about 100.000 individuals according to the Seychelles Island Foundation SIF.

Jemo
Sam from Florida says they are ok alone but do way better in groups. I'd listen to him he knows what he's doing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sam from Florida says they are ok alone but do way better in groups. I'd listen to him he knows what he's doing.
Sam who'd be happy to sell you a bunch of them? Got it.

Has Sam done the experiment I outlined earlier? How could Sam possibly know that if he hasn't? Last I heard Sam was in the business of selling imported tortoises, not doing long term experiments to see what works best. I'd be happy to know if someone else has done this experiment. Without it, we are all just guessing. I have seen them raised alone and I have seen them raised in groups. Both ways seem to work just fine.