Aldabras and Galap in Maryland.. Bwah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to hear that. However very glad you are one of the smart ones that didn't send money and lose

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
tortadise said:
emysemys said:
I'm thinking he actually DOES have the smaller ones, but included the larger to make himself seem more legit. Would have been nice if he looked up the correct spelling of "Galapagos"

That was preculiar to me too. Not only ounce but twice it is mispelled.

Looks like he spelled it phonetically.

Playing devil's advocate...

Looking at the ad, it does not scream scam to me. Of course it's possible, but the ad itself isn't blatantly saying that. It looks like someone who isn't very computer literate, which could explain the lack of pictures.

Giving out an address is something that a scammer doesn't usually do either (unless he plans on robbing you). If he is sending the address, then you should look it up. Check property tax records and see if it's in his name, or whose name it is in.

He says no shipping, which might be why he hasn't responded to Greg. He might also be wary of all the responses he is getting, and think the scammers are after him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
jaizei said:
tortadise said:
emysemys said:
I'm thinking he actually DOES have the smaller ones, but included the larger to make himself seem more legit. Would have been nice if he looked up the correct spelling of "Galapagos"

Looking at the ad, it does not scream scam to me. Of course it's possible, but the ad itself isn't blatantly saying that. It looks like someone who isn't very computer literate, which could explain the lack of pictures.

Giving out an address is something that a scammer doesn't usually do either (unless he plans on robbing you). If he is sending the address, then you should look it up. Check property tax records and see if it's in his name, or whose name it is in.

He says no shipping, which might be why he hasn't responded to Greg. He might also be wary of all the responses he is getting, and think the scammers are after him.

Except, he claims a picture of one of his Aldabras is his and it's really Aldabramans Aldabra Cowboy.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
wellington said:
jaizei said:
tortadise said:
emysemys said:

Except, he claims a picture of one of his Aldabras is his and it's really Aldabramans Aldabra Cowboy.

I think Greg was talking about a different seller, last week. This one has not sent any pictures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ALDABRAMAN said:
No response at all, I gave him my number and info.....I think he is a scam! Usually when someone has that much and the way he marketed them is a clue! If just one person sent any funds he wins and makes his initial time worth it. I recieved a response last week with a picture of Cowboy, the seller claimed it was his tortoise for sale. He got it right from google. What i have also found a lot was serious misrepresentation of the facts regarding size, condition, etc. Many liers, cheaters, and devious people are getting more desperate based on the economy, etc. It just adds to my leariness of dealing with people over the internet!

Jaizei, is Greg not talking about the same ad?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
wellington said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
No response at all, I gave him my number and info.....I think he is a scam! Usually when someone has that much and the way he marketed them is a clue! If just one person sent any funds he wins and makes his initial time worth it. I recieved a response last week with a picture of Cowboy, the seller claimed it was his tortoise for sale. He got it right from google. What i have also found a lot was serious misrepresentation of the facts regarding size, condition, etc. Many liers, cheaters, and devious people are getting more desperate based on the economy, etc. It just adds to my leariness of dealing with people over the internet!

Yes and no. The beginning [red] is about the same ad. Then he talks about a different seller that sent him the picture of Cowboy [blue].

Or at least that was the way I read it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I read Greg's post the same as Cameron read it..two different ads responded to and from.

And, Cameron...don't get after Kelly's spelling. It was probably his stupid smart phone making auto corrections. :p (Does that give you face save, Kelly???)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
emysemys said:
And, Cameron...don't get after Kelly's spelling. It was probably his stupid smart phone making auto corrections. :p (Does that give you face save, Kelly???)

I was trying to illustrate Muphry's law. I should have included a :p. All in good-natured fun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its a good think I clicked on your "Muphry's" link before I got after you for mis-spelling it! LOL!!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
They are getting creative!
I respondes to an add last week that said they had some
babies hatch from torts they keep in their garden..."pairs of tortoises" to be exact.
When they responded it was obvious for all the reasons stated above (crazy prices, weird verbage)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Haha. Yes, indeed it was my smart phone. I love have the terminology is auto-corrected in the wrong manor.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jaizei said:
wellington said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

Yes and no. The beginning [red] is about the same ad. Then he talks about a different seller that sent him the picture of Cowboy [blue].

Or at least that was the way I read it.

My bad, yes two different adds.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I am so interested to see if this is a scam or not... My grandparents have a horse property in Maryland and I know they have been wanting a full grown adult sulcata for YEARS but wanted a good price and did not want to travel far... I wish someone would just at least do a 'drive by' of the place to see if it was sketchy or not... the ad has been taken down on craigslist, I wonder if it really was a scam....?

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Vegasarah said:
I am so interested to see if this is a scam or not... My grandparents have a horse property in Maryland and I know they have been wanting a full grown adult sulcata for YEARS but wanted a good price and did not want to travel far... I wish someone would just at least do a 'drive by' of the place to see if it was sketchy or not... the ad has been taken down on craigslist, I wonder if it really was a scam....?

He never replied to my second email and like you said, post has been taken down. I'll let you know if I see this crop up again, but chances are good that this is a scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.