Aldabras and Galap in Maryland.. Bwah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Sounds like a scam, permits are only required if crossing state lines.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Ran the email through google and the guy seems local, so could actually be legit. Here's what he said in reply to me asking how much he wanted for the 10" aldabras and for pictures:

Yes ill be posting some pictures of them all when I get home later. The 10" are $3k. This size usually goes for $6k plus

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I also e-mailed regarding the large male aldabra, however no response. The 10" aldabra is within correct margins for current market pricing.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
10" aldabras 3k./ Gallop 20k. /Large aldabra 20k/. African spur 300

this is what he sent me.. no pics or mention of sending later...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Wow only 20K for a galop and dabra that size. Who knows seems pretty fair on the 10" ones, But given their conditions of living as well as current conditions, may be too much. Let us know if you check them out.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
he states he has had great response to the ad and is asking people to come see them in person... someone GO!!! take pics!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
He actually responded to my e-mail very fast, asking for a phone number....no picuture. $20,000....SOLD! (LOL). I sent my number, intersting to see if he calls!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thats what I was thinking thats HUGE boy of a aldabra or Galop for a steal. If they are truly 720 that would put them in the 90-110 year range maybe? Well also maybe a little too fat being in a cold climate stuck inside 6 months out of the year.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ALDABRAMAN said:
He actually responded to my e-mail very fast, asking for a phone number....no picuture. $20,000....SOLD! (LOL). I sent my number, intersting to see if he calls!

Good luck if it's true and you are interested. But let us know if real or not.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My scamdar is still going.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortadise said:
Wow only 20K for a galop and dabra that size. Who knows seems pretty fair on the 10" ones, But given their conditions of living as well as current conditions, may be too much. Let us know if you check them out.

If he is legit and actually has an aldabra male over 600 ponds for sale, I am on my way! My gut tells me SCAM!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking he actually DOES have the smaller ones, but included the larger to make himself seem more legit. Would have been nice if he looked up the correct spelling of "Galapagos"

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yeah, I am definitely concerned that he's trying to sell nearly $60k worth of tortoises, can't provide even one picture, and is casually giving people the address to come and see them. Might just be completely backwards, but more realistically it doesn't sound right.

I contacted him again for pics. Aldabraman, maybe he'd be more likely to share pictures with you since you're seriously interested.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Matt, since you are local, you should work with Greg and be his partner and the one to go see...
I would think if these animals were stolen, it would be known.. so until someone actually sees them.. its a bit weird.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Laura said:
Matt, since you are local, you should work with Greg and be his partner and the one to go see...
I would think if these animals were stolen, it would be known.. so until someone actually sees them.. its a bit weird.

I considered it, but am feeling a little skiddish about the aforementioned weirdness. I will reconsider if Aldabraman (is this Greg? not sure) is really serious and can actually get in contact with the dude and we can all share pics or something.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
emysemys said:
I'm thinking he actually DOES have the smaller ones, but included the larger to make himself seem more legit. Would have been nice if he looked up the correct spelling of "Galapagos"

That was preculiar to me too. Not only ounce but twice it is mispelled.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
No response at all, I gave him my number and info.....I think he is a scam! Usually when someone has that much and the way he marketed them is a clue! If just one person sent any funds he wins and makes his initial time worth it. I recieved a response last week with a picture of Cowboy, the seller claimed it was his tortoise for sale. He got it right from google. What i have also found a lot was serious misrepresentation of the facts regarding size, condition, etc. Many liers, cheaters, and devious people are getting more desperate based on the economy, etc. It just adds to my leariness of dealing with people over the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.