Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I took a couple pictures of The Bigger One and The Smaller One this a.m. I tried to get The Smaller One (SO) before she turned away, because she was eating her Mazuri and had it all over her face. But they're so shy that when I crouched down, she immediately turned away:

TheSmallerOne-2-1.jpg

And The Bigger One (BO) was just coming out of the shed when I shot this one:

TheBiggerOne-1.jpg

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
The first one is big, but the second one looks huge. I know I can't really tell because there's nothing next to them. Great shots Yvonne do they eat a lot?

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
They are sooooo big!! I can't imagine having them. We live in a small condo. Oh I want a house w/ a yard so that we may get some torts that grow that big.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Candy said:
The first one is big, but the second one looks huge. I know I can't really tell because there's nothing next to them. Great shots Yvonne do they eat a lot?

I only give them about 12 - 8 oz cups of Mazuri once a week. The rest of the week they graze.

Yvonne

jdub

5 Year Member
wow! thats so cool. you have aldabras too emy?

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Wow Yvonne, you seem like a tortoise rancher. Do you ride around your property on a horse, driving the herds of turtles and torts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I actually DO have a couple of horses!! LOL! One is a retired Thoroughbred race horse/brood mare and is 30 years old. She looks like the ones you see on Animal Cops...very skinny. Those shows paint every keeper with the neglect brush. However, my old mare is far from neglected. Every time I go to the feed store I buy a different kind of pellet or grain to see if I can find something she'll eat. She's just not interested in eating. She eats just enough to stay alive. I've had her teeth floated, so that's not the problem. The other is only 5 years younger than old Mae, however April has never had to work a day in her life. She's just barely broke enough to stand still for the farrier on foot trim day. She looks and acts like a 5 year old!

I have an acre of land, and all of the land around the house is made into tortoise pastures. I do have a small back yard and dog run, then the other half of the acre is in horse pasture. It takes me about an hour in the morning to wash and chop the food, then distribute it and clean up the pens. Then about a half hour in the evening to be sure everyone is put away. But I'm a retired telephone engineer, and what would I do with my time if I didn't have tortoises to look after?

Yvonne

Sunrise

5 Year Member
Wowo cool!
cant wait for the next picts!

Horses, tortoise...even MJ mini-zoo doesnt have the aldabra, does it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was "closing up shop" tonight and was carrying my camera, and took a shot of the Aldabrans. They're getting too big to fit on their pig blankets now:

Aldabrans8-12-09.jpg

Yvonne

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
your pics made me go and look for my neighbors tort pics i have on disc, imagine my surprise when i heard these guys just lived a few doors up the street from me. abe the aldabra is 11 years old, in fact all the torts are and have been living together since hatchlings. it was a good day. the male sulcata, the oldest at 15 im with is about 60 lbs and sully has to be kept separate because hes pretty territorial, eunice the female sulcata, 45 lbs gets along w/ everyone, but last summer abe tried mating w/ her and only accomplished breaking her leg, so on this one occasion suzanne let them be together during feeding time so i could see her whole crew in action. each has their own pens and heated houses. the redfoot is about 18" long and he was the funniest to watch, just like a puppy underfoot all the time. the mating pair of leos, being the smallest even held their own when the greens came out. smiles, galileo & spring

dvk1o4.jpg

2drdh0p.jpg

ayp0lu.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

They have grown so much the pyramiding is almost not noticable now.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne they both look great. And they are growing well. Congrats on a job well done. :)

Sunrise

5 Year Member
awesome big aldabras!!
how long does it take to grow that big?
mine are still around 10-22 cm.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
UMMM two Words.... SO COOL!:)
Great pics ...! ! ! !​

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Yvonne, I have a tried and true method for putting weight on that old mare of yours. Buy at walmart 'calf-manna' ($13.00 a bag) and corn oil, works wonders. Mix 2 cups of the calf manna and 1/4 cup corn oil. She won't get 'hot' from this at all. I took a 24yr AQHA gelding who REALLY looked dead, skins and bones, and 2 months later he looked great. I still take care of him but no longer have to feed him the manna and oil. The calf manna smells great and they scarf it down!
Someday I would love to have the space like you do Yvonne, you are so lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.