Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Bo and So were both "taking the sun" in the same position this a.m. so I took a picture of their tails. Bo is on the right and the tip of his tail is hidden by his foot, but is about 7" long. So, on the left's tail is about 4" long. Bo has "displayed" for me, so I'm sure he's a boy. And after comparing tails this a.m. I'm pretty sure So's a girl! Wish I could weigh them.

Yvonne

Aldabrabutts11-08-09.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
If they are boy and girl when would you expect them to mate? I love that picture by the way they look so relaxed out in the sun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have absolutely no knowledge of Aldabran tortoises. I've been very re-miss in researching their care or habits. In my defense, though, there really isn't much on the 'net about them. But, since Bo has displayed, that means he is likely able to reproduce at this age. I think the females probably take a bit longer to mature. But soon.

It is obvious now, from this side-by-side picture that Bo (the Bigger One) is now smaller than So!

Yvonne

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, they are just in a totally different class than Taco. She lays in exactly that position when she basks, but definitely does not convey the same "impact", let's just say, as these mighty Aldabrans you have.:D

If they do someday have babies, would you sell them? How much would an Aldabran hatchling or juvenile cost, I wonder?

M

Maggie Cummings

I have noticed that no matter what species all tortoises relax and bask in the same position...so now Yvonne you are saying that BO (bigger one) is now SO (smaller one) smaller than he? BO is now SO???:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
:D LOL!! Bo is now So, who used to be Bo but is now So and So, who used to be Bo but is now So is still So. LOL!!!

No, I'll keep their names as Laura named them a few months ago. The now Smaller One is still BO and the now Bigger One will stay So.

Yvonne

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like big butts and I can not lie.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
I like big butts and I can not lie.

That's two large laughs I had because of your posts today! :D

Yvonne

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Females have obviously short stubby tails. This does not mean that it could still be a male.

Males have obviously long slender tails... that means it's a male.

It looks like you have 2 males.

What kind of heat do you offer them?

emysemys said:
Bo and So were both "taking the sun" in the same position this a.m. so I took a picture of their tails. Bo is on the right and the tip of his tail is hidden by his foot, but is about 7" long. So, on the left's tail is about 4" long. Bo has "displayed" for me, so I'm sure he's a boy. And after comparing tails this a.m. I'm pretty sure So's a girl! Wish I could weigh them.

Yvonne

Aldabrabutts11-08-09.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
-EJ said:
what kind of heat do you offer them?

Inside their shed:

Aldabrashed-2.jpg

Since this picture was taken, I've changed out the smaller pig blankets (Stansfield heat mats) for larger ones. The light fixtures hold both black bulbs, for night time, and regular incandescent bulbs for days with no sunshine. The shed is well-insulated and stays warm even on the coldest night. There is a vinyl strip door for when the regular door is open, to maintain the heat inside.

Yvonne

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
They are amazing! and I loooove but pictures! I guess it the "I don't give a crap, let me enjoy my basking time!" pose that does it for me.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Aldabrans...beautiful creatures. I saw a pair at Pasadena's Reptile show. They were expensive but not any more than some pedigree dogs. I'd rather have them sunbathing in my yard. ...but may I ask, do they smell when they are so large?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise itself doesn't smell, however their urine is pretty strong-smelling. It smells just like the zoo.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
To bad you didn't take plastron pictures when you were weighing Yvonne :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.