ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
jkingler said:
zx5f7l.jpg

...so awesome...!

This is the female of all four, just three years apart!

66i7aa.jpg

jkingler

5 Year Member
She's from the fuuuuturrrrrrrrrrre? Haha, just kidding. So she is like 9 months old, then? How big is that lil filly now? :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jkingler said:
She's from the fuuuuturrrrrrrrrrre? Haha, just kidding. So she is like 9 months old, then? How big is that lil filly now? :D

Typo, 04-15-2011. Thank you!

jkingler

5 Year Member
ZzZzZz.

Haha. That should go in the tortoise thread: "If you think watching and photographing a sleeping tortoise is 'fun'."

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
jkingler said:
ZzZzZz.

Haha. That should go in the tortoise thread: "If you think watching and photographing a sleeping tortoise is 'fun'."

:)

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
ALDABRAMAN said:

oh yay!!! how exciting! i had a false alarm this morning, found some evidence of nesting, but no eggs yet :( the girls have a date with the vet next week to sneak a peek with the ultrasound machine, possibly radiographs! everybody keep fingers crossed!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
zesty_17 said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

oh yay!!! how exciting! i had a false alarm this morning, found some evidence of nesting, but no eggs yet :( the girls have a date with the vet next week to sneak a peek with the ultrasound machine, possibly radiographs! everybody keep fingers crossed!

That would be great! Are you sure she did not lay them during the night? We have had them come out at 0100 and start to dig.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
ALDABRAMAN said:
zesty_17 said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

That would be great! Are you sure she did not lay them during the night? We have had them come out at 0100 and start to dig.

I am not 100% that she didn't, but a coworker found the same nest site around 2pm yesterday & did not tell me. So when i came in this morning and found it, i poked around it a little, called him over & covered it back up. About how deep do they usually lay? This one was about 6" deep in a pretty large circumference probably 10" around, and was left uncovered. I am off the next couple of days so won't be able to observe them. I did turn the mound though, and churn up a couple of other spots though to stimulate them. suggestions?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
zesty_17 said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
zesty_17 said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

I am not 100% that she didn't, but a coworker found the same nest site around 2pm yesterday & did not tell me. So when i came in this morning and found it, i poked around it a little, called him over & covered it back up. About how deep do they usually lay? This one was about 6" deep in a pretty large circumference probably 10" around, and was left uncovered. I am off the next couple of days so won't be able to observe them. I did turn the mound though, and churn up a couple of other spots though to stimulate them. suggestions?

:tort: If anything to stimulate them, maybe run the sprinklers in the evening and get the ground wet before dusk. Rainy weather seems to get ours sometimes to lay. They usually dig a whole between 14" and 18" deep, depending on the size of the females hind leg reach. The circumference is about 10" or so around and the bottom of the hole tends to mushroom out towards the front about 2" or so. When the female has delivered all the eggs she gently pushes them forward into the mushroomed part. I hope you get a clutch, and please call with any questions, you have my card.

This female layed eighteen eggs in this nest, typical size of a nest hole!
az78yb.jpg

11ka6n7.jpg

This is what we do when we miss a clutch, what a PIA! Notice the depth and how we dug from the inside outward in order to not damage any eggs when they were located!

153l5k1.jpg

This is a picture of the same tortoise after she layed eggs in December, notice the massive area disturbed. It would be very hard to pinpoint the nest location after she does all that disturbing of the area around the nest. The day before she dug and layed eggs that area was untouched.

ff4pzl.jpg