ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
~ Typically 12 to 14 inches is my best guesstimate.

Thank you! That is the same depth as a sulcata nest, but they have to dig a body pit 1/2 that depth with their front legs first. They then turn around and finish the nest chamber with the back legs.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thank you! That is the same depth as a sulcata nest, but they have to dig a body pit 1/2 that depth with their front legs first. They then turn around and finish the nest chamber with the back legs.

~ I've seen that, interesting....never kept sulcatas as breeders.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
~ One negative is it does not last, rots and decays fast.

~ Our new location will be concrete.......and large marine grade poles.
Ever since they took the formaldehyde out of the treated wood. It seems it doesn't last as long. But I guess taking it out is a good thing

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
~ Must be, even the proper screws and nails rot fast also......
From what I understand in place of the formaldehyde. They used something else. I think a copper nitrate. But dont hold me to that. You had to use triple dipped galvanized or stainless. Anything else would corrode. Then they came out with those coated nails and screws. I am with you they corrode also.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
From what I understand in place of the formaldehyde. They used something else. I think a copper nitrate. But dont hold me to that. You had to use triple dipped galvanized or stainless. Anything else would corrode. Then they came out with those coated nails and screws. I am with you they corrode also.

~ Yes, i have tried several, the stainless stress do great, however very expensive.