ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ben awes

5 Year Member
When I bred my single leopard tortoise she would lay 8-12 eggs 4-5 times a year. That's a possible 50 babies. My hatch rates were low, but Gregs a pro. He's got several females laying multiple clutches a year in ideal conditions. I don't know how many female breeders he has (that's somewhere on these pages) but even if you assume a low hatch rate he's got to be getting well over 100/year, maybe 200, maybe more. Obviously Greg knows what he's doing and provides great care for those animals AND their eggs!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
When I bred my single leopard tortoise she would lay 8-12 eggs 4-5 times a year. That's a possible 50 babies. My hatch rates were low, but Gregs a pro. He's got several females laying multiple clutches a year in ideal conditions. I don't know how many female breeders he has (that's somewhere on these pages) but even if you assume a low hatch rate he's got to be getting well over 100/year, maybe 200, maybe more. Obviously Greg knows what he's doing and provides great care for those animals AND their eggs!
Wow, that's a lot of eggs! I honestly didn't know what was a low rate or a high rate for egg laying. I just noticed the picture had about 23 hatchlings, so I wondered if that was usual. :) I can't imagine having hundreds of baby tortoises in a year! That is amazing!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
That is so cool!!!! Thank you for all the info and pics! They are SO cute! I can't believe how fast they grow!!