ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

terryo

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
8,971
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I agree too. I love seeing your pictures. That poor female looks like she's saying....oh well, let's just get this over with. He is a BIG brute! LOL
 

drgnfly2265

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
1,232
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Looking at all of your wonderful torts makes me really want an aldabra. I dont know what it is about them but I just love how they look. They look amazing!
 

FranklinAndTara

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2011
Messages
224
Location (City and/or State)
Satellite Beach, Fl
Ok Greg, I love these guys! Their faces are so cute! I say it everytime i see a pic of yours. question, why are they so costly? are they hard to breed or not able to be imported anymore? im just curious ;)
 

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
5 Year Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
27,800
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
FranklinAndTara said:
Ok Greg, I love these guys! Their faces are so cute! I say it everytime i see a pic of yours. question, why are they so costly? are they hard to breed or not able to be imported anymore? im just curious ;)
:tort: I would say supply and demand. Not many breeders in the US, many are still imported. I will say that we sell out every year with no trouble, in fact we have a waiting list already for next year. We offer them at 30 days old at 2.5 to 3 inches. Our prices vary, depending on our volume and number of customers.

 

FranklinAndTara

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2011
Messages
224
Location (City and/or State)
Satellite Beach, Fl
ALDABRAMAN said:
FranklinAndTara said:
Ok Greg, I love these guys! Their faces are so cute! I say it everytime i see a pic of yours. question, why are they so costly? are they hard to breed or not able to be imported anymore? im just curious ;)
:tort: I would say supply and demand. Not many breeders in the US, many are still imported. I will say that we sell out every year with no trouble, in fact we have a waiting list already for next year. We offer them at 30 days old at 2.5 to 3 inches. Our prices vary, depending on our volume and number of customers.

I am amazed by them! Gimme about 3 years and i'll get on the list. theyre so prehistoric... little backyard dinos!
 

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
84,865
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
ALDABRAMAN said:
:tort: I would say supply and demand. Not many breeders in the US, many are still imported. I will say that we sell out every year with no trouble, in fact we have a waiting list already for next year. We offer them at 30 days old at 2.5 to 3 inches. Our prices vary, depending on our volume and number of customers.





That plus the fact that its hard to get fertile eggs and when they DO lay, there aren't that many eggs in a clutch.

We are very honored to have Greg here on the forum with us.
 

FranklinAndTara

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2011
Messages
224
Location (City and/or State)
Satellite Beach, Fl
im always so excited when i see a post from ALDABRAMAN! I have to go right to it.. i dunno what it is that so interesting about them, it think its their sweet faces ...Im going to have to go and learn more about them. I enjoy all of your pictures as always! thanx for the info guys!!
 

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
5 Year Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
27,800
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
emysemys said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
:tort: I would say supply and demand. Not many breeders in the US, many are still imported. I will say that we sell out every year with no trouble, in fact we have a waiting list already for next year. We offer them at 30 days old at 2.5 to 3 inches. Our prices vary, depending on our volume and number of customers.





That plus the fact that its hard to get fertile eggs and when they DO lay, there aren't that many eggs in a clutch.

We are very honored to have Greg here on the forum with us.


Thank you, and correct about the fertility. We have gotten over 180 eggs a year and only about 30% are fertile.
 

Mallykc

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
89
These animals are amazing! I want one sooo badly! Love the pictures!
 

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
19,752
Location (City and/or State)
CA
wow only 30%, is that consistent over the years or do some years go higher and lower?
 

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
5 Year Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
27,800
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
dmmj said:
wow only 30%, is that consistent over the years or do some years go higher and lower?
:tort: No, every year is different. We have had great years and not so great years. Overall between 30% and 40% is a good estimate of overall fertility over all the years we have been having fertility. We have had clutches with 0% fertility and clutches with 100% fertility. Probably the same as any other breeder with other tortoise species. Alot of variables.




 

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
5 Year Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2010
Messages
27,800
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Pictures taken today. (8-8-2011)



http://i55.tinypic.com/30ue5id.jpg[img]
[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/xanjg1.jpg


 

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
19,752
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have often wondered how the females feel in that situation.
 

drgnfly2265

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
1,232
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
I love seeing the pics of your herd! Someday I shall have one!
 
Top