ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
* Actually a few of our females will not eat hay!

Is there a noticeable size when they start eating hay on their own?

* Actually our smaller ones will not eat hay. I think because they have so many natural and better options available! Our hatchlings eat grass, weeds, and cactus from day one. Even our five to thirty pounders prefer a live vegetation.

30uz29k.jpg

FROG

5 Year Member
Austria
luvpetz27 said:
That picture of is adorable!!!! :)

ALDABRAMAN said:
Yellow Turtle said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
* Actually a few of our females will not eat hay!

Is there a noticeable size when they start eating hay on their own?

* Actually our smaller ones will not eat hay. I think because they have so many natural and better options available! Our hatchlings eat grass, weeds, and cactus from day one. Even our five to thirty pounders prefer a live vegetation.

30uz29k.jpg

you spoil your hatchling with good fresh food , we can see it on your pictures what they eat . why should they like to eat dry hay ??

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
ALDABRAMAN said:

Mine has stopped grazing for sometimes and waiting to be fed greens and weeds only. Now I mix everything with hays, force him to have it no matter what...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

waiting to be fed greens and weeds only.

* That is basically our experience also!

28kn49z.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Hi Greg, could you please show us the updates for the new aldabras? The ones with slight pyramiding? I'm sure you can correct them already with your diet and environment humidity, and I'd like to see the new growths. Thanks

ALDABRAMAN said:
Love this time of year // Tall, green, and nutritional grass, etc.

a9qmuu.jpg

Oh and the breeding season, yes?
What kind of grass is it? They grow nicely there.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
show us the updates for the new aldabras // I'd like to see the new growths.

* They are growing nice and steady!

2hqawd4.jpg

* The two bigger ones were released into a larger open area this morning. They should really start to excel in growth now. More room for exercise and lots of abundant food options! I noticed one eating dead dried up leaves and the other one appeared to be trying to get a small grass snail.

2w33itv.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
They looks better, but I think I still see the grooves there. Not so sure because of the small pictures.

It seems to me that you favor a small and steady growth line for all your aldabras for them to grow nice and smooth, is that correct?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
It seems to me that you favor a small and steady growth line for all your aldabras

* Yes, exercise and a natural diet. They seem to grow consistently smooth with no distinctive growth variations.

zwlugg.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
ALDABRAMAN said:
* The two bigger ones were released into a larger open area this morning. They should really start to excel in growth now. More room for exercise and lots of abundant food options! I noticed one eating dead dried up leaves and the other one appeared to be trying to get a small grass snail.

2w33itv.jpg

No wonder I see the small bump on above picture, I was wandering whether that was aldabra that you hatched yourself... So it was the one you took from outside.