ALDABRA OUTSIDE HOUSING

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
We get many e-mails regarding aldabra habitat flooring. Truthfully, we have no personal experience with northern weather conditions and minimal experience with keeping young aldabras inside. Over the years of working with our tortoises we have tried almost every potential option for outside enclosure flooring, wood, concrete, and even synthetic materials. What we have found is that sand is the best for several reasons. Wood harbors smell and is almost impossible to keep clean. Concrete scratches the plastrons, tends to get colder during the cooler months of the year, and is difficult to keep clean. Sand does not tend to harbor smell, easy to clean, and easy to add more if needed!

Another important thing that we have found is when housing your aldabra tortoises try to avoid any tight spaces that requires them to back out. We have found that an aldabra tortoise has difficulties backing up and tends to turn sideways in order to move.

If at all possible try to eliminate all exposed bolts and hinges. We have found that aldabras often make contact with the entrances and exits. They tend to push there way thru and make no effort to avoid anything in there way. This can cause great damage to there shells.

66lzpk.jpg

2l94ifs.jpg

2uo3s5y.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting. They sound like my Bull Terrier. Just bulldoze their way no matter what's in front of them. I wonder if most tortoises don't like backing up? Hmmm, that is interesting.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
I wonder if most tortoises don't like backing up?

* I am not sure. Aldabras just simply can not or will not back up. We design everything to accommodate for this. Given there size and weight it can be very challenging and difficult getting one out of a tight spot.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's some outdoor enclosure!!! I guess you'd need a place almost as big as a house to house these guys. Did you build it, or did you get a big shed and made modifications to it?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
Did you build it, or did you get a big shed and made modifications to it?

* Well, because of the neighborhood and the county we live in we contracted to have the roof and main poles built. We then finished it ourselves after all the required permits were completed!

2u97k2g.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice, the sand looks nice and packed down for the most part.
Did you have to get the support framework sunk down pretty far?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
lynnedit said:
Did you have to get the support framework sunk down pretty far?

* The county required a 24" by 48" hole filled with concrete to support each 6 x 6 wooded pole. We then sunk the exterior boards in the ground about eight inches deep!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They would need some flashing lights and beeping sounds to back up. Maybe a back-up camera.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
I love to see how aldabra group easily stay together under same roof

* Aldabras do seem to be very easy going with on another!

mainey34 said:
You have a fantastic setup.

* Thank you, we strive to keep our program up to top notch standards!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
That is a "top drawer" set up!
Very impressive and very lucky torts!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.