Aldabra or Galapagos.. Anyone?

RossT

Hi everyone,

Attaching picture of the my new little baby.. Dont know to which bread do they belong.. One of my friend is of the opinion that it is either Galapagos or Aldabra.. Any help

IMG-20181221-WA0032.jpg IMG-20190119-WA0021.jpg

RossT

In the pictures of the two young tortoises, the one in front is a Testudo (greek) tortoise. The one in back sure looks like a Galapagos, and not an Aldabra.
Attaching more picture, plz if you can help me identify these tortoises

IMG-20190217-WA0037.jpg IMG-20190217-WA0038.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There is no confusion. Markw84 answered the question for you. The one tortoise is a testudo, probably Greek and the other is a galapagos

RossT

Greek one is confirmed but the other big one in black is still I am not sure, as I have seen baby Galapagos and they don't look like this

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you thinking of the shell color? That shell is badly stained either from hard water or from being too dry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With better pictures, the darker one looks like a greek to me as well. Nuchal scute not Galap, much wider front marginals and head scalation - doesn't look aldabra at all..

@HermanniChris Help!
I agree. I think the dark one is one of the greek subspecies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
With better pictures, the darker one looks like a greek to me as well. Nuchal scute not Galap, much wider front marginals and head scalation - doesn't look aldabra at all..

@HermanniChris Help!
Well, I wish you would make up your mind. That was my first guess, then I changed because you said differently. ;):p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dint think you have a gallop at all. I think you have two if the testudo species maybe a Hermann's and a Greek. I see no gallop or aldabra in either one.

Matthew M.

Um, they are neither Aldebra nor Galapagos. An Aldebra would be around $1,000 and Galapogos are illegal to own is my understanding. Looks a lot like a Sulcata to me, which are very common. We own 3. They get around 200 lbs. Ours are a little over 100 lbs each now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Um, they are neither Aldebra nor Galapagos. An Aldebra would be around $1,000 and Galapogos are illegal to own is my understanding. Looks a lot like a Sulcata to me, which are very common. We own 3. They get around 200 lbs. Ours are a little over 100 lbs each now.
They're both greeks, Matthew.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome to the group Matthew.

Your post is full of inaccuracies though...

Aldabras typically cost more than that nowadays, and Galops are perfectly legal to own. Both buyer and seller must be in possession of valid CBW permits to sell a Galop across state lines, but they can be owned and sold within a state with no special permits or licensing required. They can also be given as gifts or sent on breeding loans across state lines with no permits.

The tortoises depicted look nothing like sulcatas. I don't know how you could own three of them and think that. Wrong color, wrong shape, wrong scalation, etc...
Most adult male sulcatas hover around 110-130 pounds when fully grown. Only the Sudan variety gets to 200+ pounds.

All this for your very first post here? And you joined 2 and a half years ago? What gives man?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aldabra are more like 2000 and the gallop are not illegal to own and are around 3-5000.
These two are nothing like a sulcata but are Greeks.
Sorry just seen Tom has said almost the same as me. So stick around so you can learn the real truths. Most stuff on the internet is incorrect as you have seen.

Matthew M.

Aldabras typically cost more than that nowadays, and Galops are perfectly legal to own. Both buyer and seller must be in possession of valid CBW permits to sell a Galop across state lines, but they can be owned and sold within a state with no special permits or licensing required. They can also be given as gifts or sent on breeding loans across state lines with no permits.

The tortoises depicted look nothing like sulcatas. I don't know how you could own three of them and think that. Wrong color, wrong shape, wrong scalation, etc...
Most adult male sulcatas hover around 110-130 pounds when fully grown. Only the Sudan variety gets to 200+ pounds.

All this for your very first post here? And you joined 2 and a half years ago? What gives man?

Forgive my ignorance and thank you for setting me straight. We've only ever owned adult Sulcatas, never the babies. We rescued our two adults about 2 years ago and rescued another one, about 20 pounds, last year. I guess all turtles look like Sulcatas to me. Thank you again for the education. That's why we are here.