Aldabra light req's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, wa
I am working on getting an aldabra. I need to know how muh artificial light I need to supply to keep it happy and healthy during the low light months of the PNW.
I was thinking of using a combo of hps and metal hallide grow lamps in addition to the mercury vapor heat bulbs. Will that be sufficiant in the 2-400w range?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Blademr2:

Try to get your new baby outside as much as possible. I have raised quite a few different types of hatchling, from box turtle to Aldabran, and all I ever used was either a 100 watt incandescent bulb or a 100 watt mercury vapor bulb.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
HPS and mH lamps shouldnt be used to grow torts, also those put off alot of heat and will kill your electric bill. I would just use a zoomed 100 -160 watt MVB and get them outside when the weather permits.

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Vancouver, wa
Why are mh and hps bad for them? I am experienced with the electrical reqs of running them. The will have to be indoors for up to half the year here, so I planned on giving them an indoor jungle type setup that wld account for about half of thr pen. (1500 sq ft or so). Temp problems shldnt really arize.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
My thoughts is just as the others have said, pure sunshine is best and humidity is needed. Good luck when you get your aldabra, they are great!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
the hps and mh light is too powerful the the torts eyes, MVB for reptiles have a special glass that only lets out certain rays, the Mh, hps lights do not filter any rays out, just way too powerful for a tort, it may work but the risk are too great of hurting the torts eyes,

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
be sure you get your tort from a reputable person/breeder... if you arent sure.. or the deal is too good to be true... then walk away....
lots of scammers out there...

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Vancouver, wa
Posting from a phone and it seems to not want to work right so if im making duplicates im sorry!

Are cfl bulbs ok or are they gonna hurt thier poor lil eyeballers too?
I ask cause I want as much indoor plant life as possible.
As far as purchase goes im pretty dead set on going through Greg..

mike1011

5 Year Member
build a wood frame large enough to mount the appropriate size and # of radiant heat panels(for basking heat)(2'by3' for each tort)sorrounded by 4' flourescent fixtures(uv lamps) hung 12-18" above top of torts shell.(use temp gun for final height) This is the basking area of your pen. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.