aldabra just stays in her new house

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyager

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sutter, Ca
Since I don't know much about the tortoises yet, still have questions for those that do!! My aldabra seems to like to stay inside, not all the time, but most of it. Some days she may not even come outside. I filled her house with good grass hay, so maybe there is no need to come out when she can eat in bed. Is it normal for them to stay inside so much?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old are they? Most baby torts sleep a lot. They also need lots of time to get used to you and their surroundings. I read on here some time ago, that it takes an Aldabra around two years of age before they get friendly and comfortable. Maybe, ALDABRAMAN can confirm if that's true or not. What are your temps and humidity? Torts will hide a lot too sometimes, if temps aren't right.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
How old are they? Most baby torts sleep a lot. They also need lots of time to get used to you and their surroundings. I read on here some time ago, that it takes an Aldabra around two years of age before they get friendly and comfortable. Maybe, ALDABRAMAN can confirm if that's true or not. What are your temps and humidity? Torts will hide a lot too sometimes, if temps aren't right.

* Many variables with acclimation.

* Being over reclusive is not good.

* can you provide any information on the diet?

* Can you post pictures of your tortoises and habitat?

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
I have no idea how old she is, but she weighs maybe 20-30 pounds. She is surounded by good grass hay and I have sen her eat the heck out of it, and she has some vegetables now and then too. I built a new house and she stays buried un there under hay. I have a ceramic heat emitter, but haven't plugge dit it in yet. It has been mid to high 70s during the day and uper 50s at night, shoud I plug it in? I will get some pics of her and the house tomorrow and post them. She is the sweetest one I have!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dyager said:
It has been mid to high 70s during the day and uper 50s at night

* That may be one part of your problem! No way she can adequately thermal regulate in the 70's.

* 50's (?), We maintain ours at 65f+ at that age/size.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
too cold!
but be carefull the hay cant touch the CHE.. Fire is a concern....
where did you get this tort? they didnt tell you about care? how much did you pay?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Laura said:
where did you get this tort?

* It would be of great benefit to post pictures of your aldabra, habitat, and setup so we can provide you with better direction and information.

* How long has she been kept in these cooler temperature?

* The fact that she has a good appetite and is eating is great!

dyager

5 Year Member
Sutter, Ca
Laura said:
too cold!
but be carefull the hay cant touch the CHE.. Fire is a concern....
where did you get this tort? they didnt tell you about care? how much did you pay?

Hi Laura, I am the guy that kind of inherited 5 of them and may have 2 more on the way. They didn't come with an instruction manual when I got them. They were kept with maybe a total of 15-20 tortoises in one 20 x 30 foot enclosure with no heat, there were maybe 4-5 different species all together. I will remove some of the hay and plug in the heater for her. I have the heater mounted on the cross members for her roof, so it is a coupe fet above her. I will try to get more pics and posted on this thread today.

Status
Not open for further replies.