Aldabra in Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
WOW! @ALDABRAMAN or someone who is set up - get this guy. Looks like a great Aldabra and they are just saying to name your price to all the farm animals. DOn't let someone who doesn't know what they are doing get this great tortoise!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure that's a galapagos tortoise. They eyes are on the same plane as the nostrils. Aldabra nostrils are below the eye plane.
Aldabra head:
aldabra head.jpg
Galapagos head:
galapagos.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't mind having a couple of those burros.

Dallas Tortoise

I would be more than happy to obtain him, lease let me kow if still available, he is a great animal.

Dallas Tortoise

I had a 29 year old Sulcata that parishes during hibernation. He had huge yard, fenced and tortoise proof and all the neighbors fed him. I am now looking for another, they are great pets with great personality

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I had a 29 year old Sulcata that parishes during hibernation. He had huge yard, fenced and tortoise proof and all the neighbors fed him. I am now looking for another, they are great pets with great personality
Sulcatas don't hibernate so that may have been your problem. Unfortunate how easily avoidable his death was.

Dallas Tortoise

Well he slept for three months out of the year , his habitat was heated and and never moved during the winter months, while we lived in Maui gor two years he was in heaven, eating all the fruit trees gold. So if the implication of your comments that somehow he died because of care is just misinformed. He was part of the family he lived in and out of the house and could go anywhere he wanted.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi Dallas, sorry to hear about your loss. I would recommend you look into modern sulcata care - tortoise raising has changed substantially over the past thirty years and the community has learned a lot about best practices. As hard as it may be to hear, sulcatas do not hibernate and three months of immobility every year points to some non-ideal care. They also aren't a species that should be eating fruit (even though they may enjoy it). A lot of us made mistakes with our first chelonians - thankfully, places like this forum exist now to help us not repeat those mistakes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sulcata don't hibernate. That was the problem. They may slow down a bit with their eating in colder climates, however with proper housing heat and temps they shouldn't stop eating and should be awake and ready for another day, every day.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Am receiving the following message:

"This posting has expired.
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)"

Anyone know why?

Ads on Craigslist have a lifetime - anywhere between 7 and 45 days I believe, depending on what is posted and where it's posted. This ad is past that point, so no longer viewable.

Status
Not open for further replies.